1. matelot's rating of the film The Fiances

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Fiances

Encore une oeuvre maîtresse de la faste période du néo-réalisme italien, parsemée de discrètes et subtiles touches d'observation qui, sous une fallacieuse apparence de neutralité, dévoile le dramatique clivage économique nord/sud de la péninsule italienne et l'inconfort de la solitude et de l'absence... www.cinefiches.com

3. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Fiances

4. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film The Fiances

5. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Fiances

One of my favorite of the early 60s, and by far the best Olmi I've seen so far (among many good or even great films).

6. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Fiances

Una historia de amor, sobre la separación, la pelea y la reconciliación. Lo mejor es sin duda casi para el final. El intercambio epistolar de los amantes que "hablan" a corazón abierto, algo que es imposible recrear desde el otro lado del teléfono. En paralelo, Olmi nuevamente crea a un personaje dentro de un ambiente laboral. Es su rutina que roza con la soledad, el roce sutil con sus colegas y otras rutinas ajenas.

7. Jorge's rating of the film The Fiances

During the first eight or nine minutes, you don´t hear a single word spoken, but then, you don´t hear much conversation during the whole movie anyway. Filmic simplicity taken to its peak. And talking about tall things, this is one of the greatest italian movies of the post-neorealism era. Another thing. Olmi is regarded as a practicing catholic. Despite this, his point of view is undoubtedly marxist.

8. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Fiances

A poetic neo-realist, working class slice of life version of LAST YEAR IN MARIENIBAD less mysterious but more human - the best description I can make in this limited space. What a beautiful film.

9. polkasan's rating of the film The Fiances

10. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Fiances

I couldn't apreciate this on first viewing. But things change. We loose people, shift cities and grow up. Beautiful film.

11. John Sandwich's rating of the film The Fiances

One of my favorites; fantastic, beautiful film!

12. Joel's rating of the film The Fiances

Absolutely beautiful. I love films that set out to tell a simple story but do such a fine job of it. The opening first ten minutes or so are grand. The way it is shot to tell emotions without overwhelming us with words. Very nice contemplative touches. VIva italiano cinema!

13. Guy Sands's rating of the film The Fiances

One of the most tasteful and powerful expositions I've ever seen. Olmi is a new hero.