1. Marina C.'s rating of the film The Fire Within

"Life.. it flows too slowly through me". This is life being drained from Alain, and this is all you feel throughout this film. A slow death.

2. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Fire Within

Un filme decadente sobre un hombre recogiendo sus pasos, visitando y despidiéndose de sus antiguos amigos, una que otra amante, todo en el espacio de un día, acercándose hacia lo irreparable. Malle hace una visión oscura de aquello que va más allá del vicio. Lo del protagonista es una dolencia existencial que no se quita con la abstinencia. Su último deseo: anunciar su condena, aquello que también padecen los suyos.

3. Walker's rating of the film The Fire Within

This is such a haunting and bold film, it will stay with me for better or (probably) worse

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Fire Within

This film perfectly describes how I felt getting off the sauce. I, like, the protagonist, could feel nothing. Suicide was always considered, but in the end, I immersed myself in books, music, film, and art, until eventually the pain and emptiness became bearable. I had to keep my brain preoccupied, as otherwise my story would've ended with the same conclusion. A great study on depression. 5 stars

5. dordai_robert's rating of the film The Fire Within

6. Ekrem Ozturk's rating of the film The Fire Within

7. FISCHER's rating of the film The Fire Within

Un film élégant et de surcroit habilement construit. On ne peut s'empêcher d'entrer dans les arcanes du jeu. L'oeuvre repose entièrement sur les épaules de Maurice Ronet, prodigieux interprète que l'on retrouve avec émotion dans une des réalisations les plus abouties de l'inégal et souvent décevant Louis Malle... www.cinefiches.com

8. nico's rating of the film The Fire Within

Extremely hard to watch for all the right reasons.

9. Loud Rocks's rating of the film The Fire Within

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Fire Within

The main problem is that it's massively overwritten. Ronet does a great acting job, but the excessive philosophizing brings it down. Also, I hate that device that a lot of soap operas use where the people say, "He looks terrible", and of course he looks perfectly fine. I understand it with soap opera stars because they're super vain. This guy looks great all the time.

11. Raum's rating of the film The Fire Within

oh no, poor man fuck this film

12. natalieb's rating of the film The Fire Within

il y a une telle intelluctualisation du propos que ça ne laisse aucune place aux émotions. Ronet n'est pourtant pas lourd. Bref, Malle c'est pas ma vibe plus que ça…

13. João Martins's rating of the film The Fire Within

The definition of struggle and sadness in a film.

14. luz de topos's rating of the film The Fire Within

la mujer como objeto y el aburrido cliclé del intelectual

15. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Fire Within

16. Levent Güçer's rating of the film The Fire Within

17. pezfelinoespia's rating of the film The Fire Within

Interesante, muchas veces me sentí identificado... me gustaron sus diálogos, con una bella música de fondo de Erik Satie más los lugares en los cuales estos ocurrían... no es una película para todos los gustos, ya que por momentos se pone un poco lenta... tan lenta como decía Alain que la vida transcurría para él...

18. Aardsy's rating of the film The Fire Within

This sad sack, sad sacking around.

19. Odile~'s rating of the film The Fire Within

<< Mañana... La vida... Conmigo no transcurre lo bastante deprisa, así que la acelero. La corrijo. Mañana me mato. >> - Alain Leroy

20. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Fire Within

21. L'immoralistee's rating of the film The Fire Within

22. thesearenotpearsAnna's rating of the film The Fire Within

imho it's perhaps the best Jeanne Moreau's role

23. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Fire Within

This movie had a heartbreaking narrative that touched me deeply. The pace is slow which might be problematic to some but to me the experience was wonderful. The superb black and white photography, for which I adore Louis Malle, definitely added to this. One of my all time favourites.

24. Druvis's rating of the film The Fire Within

Erik Satie definitely helped rising the bar. A great film. The anxiety is pictured so well that it made me feel uneasy myself. The Lost Weekend (1945) with Ray Milland stays unparalleled, though.