1. L'immoralistee's rating of the film The Fire Within

2. thesearenotpearsAnna's rating of the film The Fire Within

imho it's perhaps the best Jeanne Moreau's role

3. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Fire Within

This movie had a heartbreaking narrative that touched me deeply. The pace is slow which might be problematic to some but to me the experience was wonderful. The superb black and white photography, for which I adore Louis Malle, definitely added to this. One of my all time favourites.

4. Druvis's rating of the film The Fire Within

Erik Satie definitely helped rising the bar. A great film. The anxiety is pictured so well that it made me feel uneasy myself. The Lost Weekend (1945) with Ray Milland stays unparalleled, though.

5. Bogdan Liviu's rating of the film The Fire Within

I would've given it five stars for the idea around the movie, with its seductive melancholy and relentless depression, but at times some reactions were way over the top, too theatrical for my taste. "I can't touch things. And when I do touch things, I feel nothing." ; "'We poets have no need for drugs to attain the borderline between life and death..." My favourite scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSQxlwMzr8

6. Rikard Westeman's rating of the film The Fire Within

The best cinematic depiction of depression? Possibly. And with a sad, dark beauty to it all. And in its center a haunting performance by Maurice Ronet. The Paris locations and milieu are used to great effect by Malle.

7. Muraki's rating of the film The Fire Within

'the alcoholic’s search for meaning in a world that is slowly losing definition'

8. jamshid's rating of the film The Fire Within

It's like Ingmar Bergman makes a movie in French style! A great depiction of deep depression of a man

9. letters never sent's rating of the film The Fire Within

There is only a split second between existing and being a mere memory.

10. La quinta luna's rating of the film The Fire Within

11. paxy's rating of the film The Fire Within

12. Zac Weber's rating of the film The Fire Within

The Fire Within combines two of my favorites - Louis Malle and Erik Satie. This is a quiet, contemplative film and Satie's minimal compositions parallel the tone of Maurice Ronet's somber descent.

13. Rahul's rating of the film The Fire Within

Nihilistic and unremittingly bleak, this film hit close to home. Ronet's haunting, tortured performance is unforgettable, as is the last, horrifying scene. Surely one of the best films about depression ever made.

14. gropitse's rating of the film The Fire Within

15. Anj R's rating of the film The Fire Within

An unflinchingly accurate portrayal of depression. Satie's score is beautiful.

16. (efe) ni's rating of the film The Fire Within

17. emichan's rating of the film The Fire Within

It's a movie about nihilsim

18. Benji's rating of the film The Fire Within

Existential cigarette-laden black and white masterpiece from Louis Malle. Taut. Dark. Gripping. I thought it was great.

19. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Fire Within

20. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film The Fire Within

The Fire Within (1963) Le Feu follet Will o' the Wisp DIR Louis Malle SCR Louis Malle 108 Min _the sensitivity was in my heart_

21. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film The Fire Within

Deeper and deeper down into a man's soul. Malle's direction is elegant, he reveals the spaces of gray between light and shadow, and reflections in a mirror. At times the film resembles Antonioni, but it's warmer and more human, it's less about ideas and more about people, reaching out and searching. The ending is jarring, and while not unexpected packs an emotional wallop. I cared so much for Alain.

22. bugz's rating of the film The Fire Within

douloureux, triste, grave - brilliant

23. El Biffo's rating of the film The Fire Within

Hasn't this dude ever heard of the12-step program? Louis Malle is such a bore...

24. yulsi's rating of the film The Fire Within