1. Melissa Arcelia's rating of the film The Fire Within

Was Alain gay by any chance? I think he's clearly afraid of something, but he speaks a lot about life and its meaningless for him. He also speaks about desire but for me, it seems that he isn't able to set down any deep connection with any women at all since he didn't seem to enjoy or pursue any very long/close relationship on any scene at least and yet he "tries to force" some interest in women at the same time...

2. - -'s rating of the film The Fire Within

I can relate to this film. The searching, the dead desire, the philosophies. It's that utter disgust for and confusion of life that hurtles him into the next day. Some of the close ups and segments with the Satie music were very simple and beautiful. You could see the fleeting hopefulness in his friends' faces. Despite all of this, I too expected something more, but maybe that's the point. The ending was apt.

3. Meg's rating of the film The Fire Within

I don't know why, but i expected more from this film and was kind of dissapointed. It is indeed a very good meditation to depression, without doubt the best i've seen, and well-constructed as a film, but i expected to get more from it, considering its reputation.

4. Shelley's rating of the film The Fire Within

this was certainly one of the best portrayals of anxiety and depression that I've seen on film during this time. this was also a much darker piece of French new wave cinema, and much quieter. it hangs on every word, every scene, with no colors to hang to. the day he says his goodbyes is echoing every now and then, in his mind. the film is beautifully depressing, but needs to be seen.

5. A. Felix's rating of the film The Fire Within

6. PolarisDiB's rating of the film The Fire Within

Suicidal and clinically depressed people are definitely hard to be around, and its almost shocking to watch all these other people who love the main character keep saying things like, "I'm so happy to see you! We need you back! You must keep checking in!" when the guy acts like a jerk to everyone, but so goes sitting for two hours with an actually depressed person. If that's what you want to watch. --PolarisDiB

7. Christopher Taylor's rating of the film The Fire Within

For some people, happiness is a very difficult thing. The movie is a melancholic exploration into the internal landscape of Alain Leroy, and is superbly acted every step of the way. Maurice Ronet is fascinating to watch, and Malle treats the plot as a disheveled empty room, each cast aside item slowly gazed upon.

8. Brian O'blivion's rating of the film The Fire Within

So many scenes with wrong punctuations in dialogue, photography and and editing (typical feat in "french new wave") and in the end a depressingly mediocre movie about a subject that is close to my cold, black heart. It made me want to drink though and I finished a bottle of fine red wine while watching it. Fucking Oscars on TV... makes me want to shoot myself.

9. Ivory Pinkney's rating of the film The Fire Within

Wonderful film. The lead actor is superb.

10. LifeofFiction's rating of the film The Fire Within

I feel this may be the start of a great friendship between Malle and I.

11. MarcH's rating of the film The Fire Within

12. Martin Wilson's rating of the film The Fire Within

Is this the best performance of the 1960s? MAURICE RONET has always been a very good actor but here he becomes a great one. He just, quietly, is this person. If the ultimate aim of a performance is to take you inside another's world and feel their reality, then this is as good as it gets. A film about a depressed, suicidal alcoholic should be, well...depressing. Instead it creates a profound connection he could not.

13. HobartLazaro's rating of the film The Fire Within

this is now my favorite malle

14. Reginald Healer Marcellin's rating of the film The Fire Within

Rediscovered Erik Satie because of this

15. Chiara's rating of the film The Fire Within

16. Oddly Dreamlike's rating of the film The Fire Within

the thing is... i can't reach out with my hands. i can't touch things. and when i do touch things, i feel nothing.

17. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film The Fire Within

A revolver is solid, it's made of steel. To touch an object at last.

18. Laali's rating of the film The Fire Within

« Tu refuses les certitudes parce qu’elles te font peur. Tu fais l’apologie de l’ombre parce que le soleil te blesse les yeux. »

19. Lee Bullitt's rating of the film The Fire Within

This film gorgeous and shockingly clear. It was beautiful & heartbreaking to follow Alan Leroy (played magnificently by Maurice Ronet) in the last days of his life. He was an extremely honest character, and I feel like his story, or at least what he felt about his life and himself are feelings that i could truly relate to. Feelings that were distinctly human & tragic, and beautiful for that very reason.

20. Marie's rating of the film The Fire Within

hey sexy nuns, recommending this movie to the depressive ones is quite reductive, don't you think. it's more something about love (as always) - not being able to love, lack of love, disgust of love, etc. but this time, imagine a slow, grey and lucid film. no melodrama. it's startling.

21. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Fire Within

35mm. reclassement : 4,1 (avant cinq)

22. sean's rating of the film The Fire Within

Crime and Punishment meets The Myth of Sisyphus, yes?

23. Andy Oettl's rating of the film The Fire Within

An elegant, understated film about a taboo subject. Louis Malle brilliantly captures the resignation of the character who is dead long before he points the gun to his head.

24. Jennifer Christensen's rating of the film The Fire Within

My very favorite film! I identify so strongly with this character!