1. Ethan's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Roberto Rossellini was one of the most influential directors of all time and challenged the language and rules of filmmaking and I feel like that influence from this film was heavy inspiration for Andrei Tarkovsky when he did Amdrei Rublev.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Une incontestable originalité et une fraîcheur d'esprit indéniable dans ce film méconnu d'un des plus grands metteurs en scène italiens. A voir et à méditer... www.cinefiches.com

3. @MrEdDylan's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

not for irreligious person go find your god in another way

4. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Only the most ravaged of people and places can produce such hope and optimism. One of the best films on faith I've ever seen.

5. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Really interesting and beautiful movie to look at, very straightforward in its storytelling and it works very well!

6. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Just watched the lovely restored version of Rosselini's "The Flowers of St Francis" (1950), co-scripted by Fellini. I believe it is Rosellini's own favorite work--with most of the cast being non-professional actors (actually monks!). It reminds one of Pasolini's "Gospel According to St Mathew." My favorite segment in the Rosselini film was the one with the tyrant Nicalaio and Br. Ginapro.

7. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

As a celebration of mankind's inescapable flaws and weaknesses, as well as the joy of communal living, the film makes an argument that saints, far from being modeled after canons of perfection, are closer to those in the harshest needs.

8. msmichel's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Beautifully shot film that presents vignettes from the life of Francis of Assisi that presents so-called Christian values of charity, sacrifice, and poverty. Mind you its also a group of men blindly following a self proclaimed vessel of God. One person's viewing could be a deeply religious experience allowing them to question the tenets of their own faith, but another's take may be the cult like aspects shown.

9. Stevie's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

A beautiful study of pure spiritual dedication. It could inspire even the sternest atheist to respect that level of dedication and is a real eye-opener in this day of mass consumerism.

10. janh24's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Splendid film: the effective episodic structure keeps the viewer entranced. And a good helping of humour to boot!

11. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

It was impossible for me not to wonder - what do you see if you are western and (at least culturally) Christian...? And is it not vastly different from what you would see if you were born into a foreign culture? Are those not a group of very strange men with masochistic tendencies, bizarre rituals, inexplicable acts of psychological self-immolation and above all an unnerving dedication to a nebulous master?

12. Jeremy Steel's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

A charming series of religious vignettes or parables. Visually it was stunning in glorious black and white - the opening scene in the rain was particularly memorable.

13. Benji's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

After wavering a bit at the beginning, I actually began to truly love this. Wonderful. The best religious film I've seen. Made me smile and think a bit about the world.

14. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

The episode with the leper is moving beyond words. Such a finely, lovingly made movie.

15. wolf's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

It's not epic, grand, poignant, or intriguing, but somehow this quaint little collection of vignettes adds up to greater than the sum of its parts, in the end. The best "fluff" I've seen in a long time...

16. Mike A's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Rossellini's camera eye is the only I've encountered that seems perfect, by which I mean that his composition choices seem like the only ones possible for any given shot, by a logic that is as certain as that of mathematics but impossible to articulate. I can't think of another film that stands as a better rebuke to the empirical, science-inflected strain of film criticism so popular today.

17. Martin Scorsese's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

I’ve never seen the life of a saint treated on film with so little solemnity and so much warmth.

18. dinoage's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Rossellini's structure and camera are perfect, while his subject is lacking. St Francis, a sincerly sensitive man refuses to do what he preaches. Asleep, he scorns his followers not to be idle and claims he is the most humble. He doesn't understand why a leper and homeowner rejects him, therefore calling them "evil." The real hero here is Brother Ginepro- a man who's real unselfishness ends a tyrants siege.

19. CriterionRefs's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

The essence of Franciscan spirituality that Rossellini sought to convey was how it blended a deep and heartfelt humility with self-effacing silliness. To read my full write-up on The Flowers of St. Francis: http://criterionreflections.blogspot.com/2009/12/flowers-of-st-francis-1950-293.html

20. - -'s rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

I just saw this for the second (or third?) time and enjoyed it so much more. I guess I had to see some other Rossellini films to really enjoy the simplicity of this. The one gripe I used to have about it was that unlike, say, Andrei Rublev, we don't really see Francis "tested" as person. But the film is humble, like him, and Francis' tests come from simply humility and constant charity.

21. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

22. Erik Gregersen's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Just staggering. A light-hearted film about serious faith.

23. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Let's say it wasn't as profound or transcendental as promised, and as my third Rossellini film after Rome, Open City and Voyage in Italy it was a bit of a let-down. Visually it's a beautiful film, and some segments are amazing, but as a whole it just feels average and unexciting.

24. Boldizsar CR's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis