1. KateBusher97's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

If you're already familiar with the text or at least have an open mind, this is a film of absolute freedom, and a profound love of the world, as you take, as his followers did. There is a lot of playfulness, Rossellini is a mature director and was neither mocking nor sentimental, he was free, like them.

2. Cindy's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

don't think i will ever forget the vignette with the leper

3. ExperimentoFilm's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

❤the Brother Ginepro facepalm❤

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

5. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Its apparent formlessness gives way to the calm simplicity of nature and peaceful human behaviour: those images of the group of friars running through the fields, either soaked in rain or sunlit, are convincing in depicting freedom and joy.

6. Luca Angelini's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

7. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Powerful film on faith and humility. Two standout scenes include St. Francis embracing a leper, and one where he is used as human jump rope. Rossellini made great religious films that remained predominantly unbiased.

8. Ethan's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Roberto Rossellini was one of the most influential directors of all time and challenged the language and rules of filmmaking and I feel like that influence from this film was heavy inspiration for Andrei Tarkovsky when he did Amdrei Rublev.

9. FISCHER's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Une incontestable originalité et une fraîcheur d'esprit indéniable dans ce film méconnu d'un des plus grands metteurs en scène italiens. A voir et à méditer... www.cinefiches.com

10. @MrEdDylan's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

not for irreligious person go find your god in another way

11. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Only the most ravaged of people and places can produce such hope and optimism. One of the best films on faith I've ever seen.

12. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Really interesting and beautiful movie to look at, very straightforward in its storytelling and it works very well!

13. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Just watched the lovely restored version of Rosselini's "The Flowers of St Francis" (1950), co-scripted by Fellini. I believe it is Rosellini's own favorite work--with most of the cast being non-professional actors (actually monks!). It reminds one of Pasolini's "Gospel According to St Mathew." My favorite segment in the Rosselini film was the one with the tyrant Nicalaio and Br. Ginapro.

14. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

As a celebration of mankind's inescapable flaws and weaknesses, as well as the joy of communal living, the film makes an argument that saints, far from being modeled after canons of perfection, are closer to those in the harshest needs.

15. msmichel's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Beautifully shot film that presents vignettes from the life of Francis of Assisi that presents so-called Christian values of charity, sacrifice, and poverty. Mind you its also a group of men blindly following a self proclaimed vessel of God. One person's viewing could be a deeply religious experience allowing them to question the tenets of their own faith, but another's take may be the cult like aspects shown.

16. Stevie's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

A beautiful study of pure spiritual dedication. It could inspire even the sternest atheist to respect that level of dedication and is a real eye-opener in this day of mass consumerism.

17. janh24's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Splendid film: the effective episodic structure keeps the viewer entranced. And a good helping of humour to boot!

18. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

It was impossible for me not to wonder - what do you see if you are western and (at least culturally) Christian...? And is it not vastly different from what you would see if you were born into a foreign culture? Are those not a group of very strange men with masochistic tendencies, bizarre rituals, inexplicable acts of psychological self-immolation and above all an unnerving dedication to a nebulous master?

19. Jeremy Steel's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

A charming series of religious vignettes or parables. Visually it was stunning in glorious black and white - the opening scene in the rain was particularly memorable.

20. Benji's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

After wavering a bit at the beginning, I actually began to truly love this. Wonderful. The best religious film I've seen. Made me smile and think a bit about the world.

21. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

The episode with the leper is moving beyond words. Such a finely, lovingly made movie.

22. wolf's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

It's not epic, grand, poignant, or intriguing, but somehow this quaint little collection of vignettes adds up to greater than the sum of its parts, in the end. The best "fluff" I've seen in a long time...

23. Mike Archibald's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

Rossellini's camera eye is the only I've encountered that seems perfect, by which I mean that his composition choices seem like the only ones possible for any given shot, by a logic that is as certain as that of mathematics but impossible to articulate. I can't think of another film that stands as a better rebuke to the empirical, science-inflected strain of film criticism so popular today.

24. Martin Scorsese's rating of the film The Flowers of St. Francis

I’ve never seen the life of a saint treated on film with so little solemnity and so much warmth.