1. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

2. -REM-'s rating of the film The Forbidden Room

3. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Sometimes I don't entirely connect with Maddin's film although almost always admire them but this one I was completely enthralled throughout!

4. Rhinnnn's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

You're eating a cake and you visualize the word cake - while your tongue feels its mushy sweetness - and the letter k grows bigger than c, a, and e - it's now a K and it grows bigger and bigger still, until it's as large as yourself and you can wear it as a dark robe - and your tongue still feels that mushy sweetness - you're eating the K while wearing it. Lust o'clock, rains engulf nightly ailments.

5. pickledelephant's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

6. jonijtr's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

7. Fabiha's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

"Whatever it is you think I have done, I have done it ten times worse than you even know."

8. Videograms's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

9. VENIMOS LOS JODIMOS Y NOS FUIMOS's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Fiel a su peculiar estilo, el canadiense Guy Maddin invita al espectador a adentrarse en un onírico juego de cajas chinas, el cuál puede verse como un homenaje o nostalgica declaración de amor por el cine en 35mm, consiguiendo, de paso, trascender las convenciones de la narrativa tradicional cinematográfica al convertir a la audiencia en participes activos de una fascinante orgia audiovisual.

10. Charles Coleman's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

3 1/2. I liked most of it but it was a bit too long and meandering in places.

11. atartinia's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Crazy, absurd, involving, repellant but irresistible. Certainly had some feelings.

12. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

13. Thom Slattery's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

A psychedelic romp through disjointed stories that may or may not have any relationship. This movie has it all. Men trapped in a submarine eating pancakes for air. Forest bandits using snapping contests to judge a new member. A famous surgeon seduced into a poisonous skeleton leotard. And Udo Kier's obsession with butts. If not for the stunning visuals I might laugh this movie off, but instead I want to see it again.

14. Feng Ling's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

capitan: what's the meaning of this? a sensory fancy fest with (Eisenstein/Kuleshov) dialectic overdrive

15. David R Williams's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

If one could neurojack into the deepest darkest heart of cinema these are the hallucinations one might experience. Explosions of celluloid disintegration ripping your eyes. Decades of film unravel in chaotic cluster forming layer upon layer through which we must crawl and claw. Maddin is a mad genius. Godard talked about the end of cinema...I think it looks like this.

16. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Bat shit crazy. But kinda awesome. It's frickin' hilarious as well. A truly unexpected delight. The only downside was the length. It could have been about 30 minutes shorter. Heh.

17. Erik F.'s rating of the film The Forbidden Room

18. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

19. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

The forbidden room thinks itself more clever than it really is. The plot and writing are non-sensical and confused enough to make the film a challenge at best. But through the sheen that the art direction puts on top of it, the film is lost behind the door of the so-called "forbidden room". It is a disappointing amount of entertainment gained for the amount of work it takes to understand the film on a basic level.

20. Kareem E.'s rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Symptoms: amnesia, double consciousness, atavism, fever dreams, intertitles, time travels, thresholds, manifest destiny, many returns, masculinity, misogynist violence, turning into wolves, fetishism (baths, butts, busts [of the God Janus], celluloid, tentacles), camp, Americana, mythology, whiteness, Eros Sources: André Breton's Nadja ("Who am I?"), expressionism, '20s/30s Hollywood, Murnau, Brakhage, Lynch, Anger

21. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Even more challenging that most of his films because of all the jumping around to other story lines. It really does remind me of tripping in terms of how much one is able to actually concentrate on any one thing and how the faces melt and reform.

22. Gerald Singer's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

Pure cinema without boundaries. A psycho analytical tour de force. Seven stars at least!

23. Neil troost's rating of the film The Forbidden Room

fun techniques...you can only watch so much of this. enjoyed the vignette about janus. bathing public service announcements a hoot.

24. Cihan Ünsal's rating of the film The Forbidden Room