1. Samuel Wells's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

This film is unapologetically contrived. The language of the opening monologue alone is self serving and melodramatic. The rhetoric and flow is far too affected to match the matter of fact filming and subject material. The documentarian in this film sounded so concerned with sounding intellectual that it became too distracting to observe or enjoy the subject or potential edification. A disappointing miss.

2. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

Wonderful. Like a droller Adam Curtis on Ritalin. There's a cloying quality to the texture of the voiceover, obscuring otherwise fairly poetic & searing narration. The filmmakers take a microscope to the victims of neoliberalism, going further than many of their predecessors. Herzog would be proud, although after his glowing interview w/ Elon Musk I question his initial anticapitalism. The torch is passed, I guess.

3. Brenda's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

The film The Forgotten space gives raw insight into the world of modern day mechanisms and infrastructure used to keep a global 24/7 economy in motion. By looking into several different countries, the film provides an arrangement of impacts that consumerism has on economies, communities, and the environment. The film provokes the idea that globalization should not come at the cost of humanities wellbeing.

4. jahsiah zoerheide's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

This film was conceptually eye opening and interesting.I fully enjoyed the relationship between, the influx of consumerism and the process of transportation. It was interesting to see the workings of how our products are being transported and the different elements needed to keep our world running. We were also able to understand, the issues and ugliness of our growing industrial world and importance of the ocean.

5. Cyrus Dayani's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

The shipping container as a contemporary trojan horse: environmentally, economically, & ethically damaging humanity by surprise. Heady dystopic stuff w/enormous global consequences. Diverse shots, content, and interviewees all linked via containers. I've since taken moments to comprehend capitalism/consumerism every time the train by my house passes w/its 100+ containers. Narration is opinionated, didn't bother me.

6. David Perez's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

Good idea, poorly executed. Unfortunately this one is mired in the director's insistence upon constantly pitching half-baked maxims that muddle his own vision. Get to the point, man. Forget the pretentious rhetorical questions posturing toward poetry. Just give us the facts. A real disappointment. For a much more informed and classically academic presentation on this same subject try Desai's "Marx's Revenge."

7. ejonline's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

The film describes itself as an essay, but it doesn't really take that form. Rather than having an explicit structure and sequence, it plays out as a rumination, loosely strung together but not quite stream of consciousness. It takes snapshots of the impact of global capitalism and neoliberal policies, showing people in many forgotten spaces - e.g., the sea, the land - and how space itself is forgotten and abused.

8. kukemeri's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

Imagine Koyaanisqatsi with boring photography and voiceover of a bad Herzog imitator. Though a fascinating topic, it is a luddite-leftist indictment of post-industrial modernity with sloppy theory and awkward poeticism. In one scene the authors manage to be ageist, racist and misogynist at once by comparing a group of Polish apple pickers to cattle. No interviews are made with these women. Indeed, cows don’t speak.

9. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

3.5 Excellent documentary about the ever-increasing amount of unnecessary crap we make and ship and buy. Similar to the "Koyaanisqatsi" trilogy. If only the voiceover were not so poorly performed. Each sentence is given the same intonation, significantly deadening the energy of the film. Glad they included the section on Bilbao and the Guggenheim Museum.

10. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

Moving, searching, and never less than transfixing, The Forgotten Space transcends the occasional didacticism of its anti-globalist critique by being, first and foremost, a film--the camera is the storyteller here, and the interlocutor, too, in both of which capacities it proves formally dazzling, coherent, and humane.

11. DSpaceNine's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

We read about political dictators in the news all the time, but what about the dictatorship of maximizing profit to the expense of the common man? Wake up, we must, and begin to put humanity first. Our collective goal shouldn’t be to maximize profit, but rather to ensure that every person on this rock has a meaningful life and the opportunity to work.

12. Justin Gomez's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

The connections made in the documentary between technologies and cultural decline were eye-opening. What we do in our day to day life impacts others across the world and vice-versa. And there are no easy answers, if any answers at all. To my mind at least I gained some knowledge about how the world is breaking down. And it is better to know than to be left in the darkness without any understanding.

13. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

A very dry, but interesting documentary detailing all of the minutiae surrounding the transportation/shipping industry. It's an extremely global industry that quite often gets overlooked and yes - forgotten. There is also a good deal of focus on the economic effects of the work forces surrounding this industry. It shines a light on the economic disparity of the workers and the world in which they must try to live.

14. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

A great companion to Edward Burtynsky's Manufactured Landscapes.

15. L.F.G.'s rating of the film The Forgotten Space

How it's made: neoliberalism

16. Karthik's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

An essential film, formally brilliant (Burch is involved after all!) but wearing that brilliance in fidelity to & service of its subject: an unflinching yet humane look at globalization, its dislocations and disruptions of sociality, all in the service of "increasing consumption", revealing the iron fist behind the velvet glove of phrases like "demand stimulus".

17. Clifford Landon Pun's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

This is Allan's masterpiece—critical of late capitalism and the oppression of globalization. I was a student of his not long ago. I miss him and his wisdom. His film is essential. Do watch it.

18. oki's rating of the film The Forgotten Space

Incredible film. Much love to the life, work, graceful intellect, and memory of Allan Sekula. http://www.eastofborneo.org/archives/allan-sekula-1951-2013