1. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Gambler

James Caan as an academic, in 70s New York, with a Mahler soundtrack - who can resist?! Also an excellent study of the insidious nature of addiction. Caan is perfect, perhaps never better, his natural charm disarming us to the point where we almost want to stay alongside him even as he sows destruction to both himself and those around him. Reisz's direction is on the dot: unshowy, intelligent, humane. 70s gold.

2. Thomas's rating of the film The Gambler

James Caan carries this film well, which can't be said of other of his vehicles from around the same period. Strong performances, and a great cameo from James Woods as a bank manager.

3. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film The Gambler

Another gem from America's cinematic goldmine of the 1970s. Reisz bluntly, almost anti-dramatically, shows us the condition of addiction. Caan is wholly convincing as the nihilistic, risk seeking Axel whose moral corruption knows no bounds. He fritters away his mum's savings, drags students to his troubles & arrogantly shuns all around him. File with Taxi Driver, Chinatown, Midnight Cowboy as a tale of ubran decay.

4. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Gambler

Great film, clearly overlooked when people reflect on films of the period. Character study with a depth typical of 70s indie and a perfect performance from Caan.

5. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film The Gambler

6. First Lady Dré's rating of the film The Gambler

phew - addicts are so boring - even, or should that be especially, on the big screen

7. ssolf's rating of the film The Gambler

Ridiculous in a bad way

8. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Gambler

They sure dont make them like they used to. WOW!!

9. Gareth Jones's rating of the film The Gambler

Talk about being stuck in a hole and trying to dig your way out. A good gambling movie even though it's pretty much the same as every other movie in the genre.

10. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Gambler

A New York we only recognise from film, a cycle some of us are too familiar with, desperately watchable

11. Noëlle's rating of the film The Gambler

Holy Moly! I went through the wringer with this one...

12. Superfrog's rating of the film The Gambler

I liked the basketball scene a lot but I so deeply cannot feel anything for the character at hand that I had to give up.

13. Leon Berrange's rating of the film The Gambler

Beautifully shot, great character and development. Excellent movie, pleasant surprise.

14. joseph.w.merriman@gmail.com's rating of the film The Gambler

Quintessentially 70s drama. Enjoyable.

15. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Gambler

I saw the Rupert Wyatt version (2014) with Mark Wahlberg first - and was quite impressed. However, even though, I was expecting "the original" to be better. But it wasn't. In all terms they are absolutely on the same (high) level. Great acting of James Caan ("fuck my protection"). The way he conveys the addiction & decline of a person into ruin is amazing. Unforgettable scenes: "20$ for a dime"; cinema radio, bath.

16. traag-1's rating of the film The Gambler

OK. More like 3.78/5. a 10 point rating system is needed on this site!

17. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Gambler

I know it's been said by many many times but they made movies in the US they won't make now...gritty little character pieces with no sugar that I eat up. Better on 2nd viewing, this has Toback all over it though he only wrote it. Probably Cann's best performance...he really nails the charm the character needs and not just the impulse and desperation because this guy couldn't last as long as he does without it.

18. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Gambler

Reisz's bravura opening sequence establishes the narrow confines to which his gambler's concerns have been reduced. From there we're shown a world Axel only barely inhabits, the world of external obligations and others' intentions. Grimly obsessed with imposing his will upon reality -- including his own willful destruction -- Axel both depends upon and reacts against the safe-harbor/prison of the maternal relation.

19. CVH's rating of the film The Gambler

rated 'The Gambler' 3 out of 5 stars

20. Jugend21's rating of the film The Gambler

This movie was really mediocre and boring until the last 10 minutes, which were pretty great.