1. naokoken's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

Somewhat enjoyable but the movie wandered a bit too much between the characters for me to get involved.

2. jenesuispasanglais@gmail.com's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

I enjoy a good non-linear story, and I enjoy thought-provoking films, but golly gee, this simply does not work. Editing is not just brusque but bizarre. The story moves in massive jerks without expressing much. It could have been a statement on trenchant issues but ends up being more like visual masturbation. Sorry. Pass.

3. Holly Hinson's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

Excellent build up to a underwhelming finish

4. David R Williams's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

Just...well not horrible. For the most part the story is flat and un-involving. Nothing that hasn't been done before. The only reason I continued to watch was Catherine Deneuve - she might as well have been in another film. The film that I watched when she wasn't around...wasn't good.

5. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

I liked that this one fit snugly with Techine's oeuvre -- he's like Eric Roemer laced with arsenic, depicting duel poles of attraction with regret and disastrous consequences. Yet, the rollerblading main characters fit what was a bit off with this movie -- it was a bit too blithe, too shallow to allow us into the characters' heads. Give us more motivation behind Jeanne's actions, and you'd have a better film.

6. Allison Vivian Fine's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

This is a gorgeous and seductive piece of filmmaking; a real 3-course meal. The scenes are lush and ripe, the characters are mysterious and interesting--the relationships have multiple layers. A very satisfying film with undertones, overtones and some very interesting social and personal statements.

7. Jefferson's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

"I wanted to be loved and the opposite happened."

8. Tiphaine Tatin de Lattre's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

Deneuve chain-smokes and takes sleeping pills. This is a French film! We didn't reinvent the wheel since Godard... I don't remember much about the real story, except that in the media the girl wasn't described as naïve as she is on the film. Jeanne is incredibly gullible. The wrestler raises 30 red flags, but she goes for it. The story of her mom and the lawyer is way over the top.

9. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

A thought provoking character study. Although billed as a case of a falsely reported crime, that aspect of the story is actually secondary.

10. petercameron's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

11. Michael Goetz's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

This was an altogether pedestrian effort from Techine. The first half had a nice sprung rhythm to it and some bits of montage with good aesthetic kick, particularly during the two lovers' Skype romance. But it quickly turns into a confused mess with no destination in mind. Not very much like a sleek, swift, purposeful train, I'm afraid.

12. laurax's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

really 2.5 for me very uneven hand held camera in beginning only had good possibilities, but...

13. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

An interesting story about how a small lie can snowball into something really bad.

14. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

The political examination of contemporary French politics, and the way that media and mismanaged government can make a situation spiral out of control, are well placed, but The Girl on The Train is not terribly distinctive. Some shots are nicely framed, while some handheld camera moments nauseate. Distinctively slow, it captures in some moments, but is overall fairly forgettable.

15. Samuel Donath's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

I didn't like this one. This director has done much better films. The psychology of the lead female character is interesting, but not interesting enough to make this a compelling watch.

16. arlinda's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

No heavy-handed explanations of how the political is precipitated by the personal here. Just read between the lines. Most of it is there.

17. James's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

18. Dizzydent's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

I just realized "Rosetta" was also looking for a job in this one. Ha ha. I love French films because they just show you who people are without trying to explain why they are that way.

19. Yuki Aditya's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

20. Abby.'s rating of the film The Girl on the Train

I preferred the first half of the film, but it was still excellent.

21. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

Great first half, terrible second.

22. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

André Téchiné's best film by far.

23. B.Yvette's rating of the film The Girl on the Train

Beautiful film, not only about Jeanne's psychological breakdown as a result of her boyfriend's attack but also about how a lie can easily be blown out of proportion. Jeanne is beautiful and naive, much like a child and in the same sense it leads her into trouble. I really recommend watching this movie, as it also attempts to portray modern-day issues in France.