1. Tudor Rachieru's rating of the film The Gold Rush

2. LifeofFiction's rating of the film The Gold Rush

This—not George Lucas' Star Wars—is truly the most criminal remastering in cinema history.

3. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Gold Rush

(2.5) I haven't seen the longer silent 1925 version and yet as soon as I started watching this it felt wrong. I guess Chaplin felt the narration was needed to make the film attractive to an audience who by 1942 were used to talkies, but while the magic of the visuals is still there the voiceover intrudes to dissipate it, and for me become an irritation.

4. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film The Gold Rush

Sue me, because I prefer Chaplin's narration. One could argue that it takes away from the naturalism of this already great film, but I feel that it's so sparingly used that it never hurts the whole of the film. Though that may be because I saw that version first. Plus there's the great score that takes it to a whole other level. Other than that, what can I say, it's just one of the funniest films ever made.

5. Roscoe's rating of the film The Gold Rush

This is Chaplin's 1942 hackjob on his own masterwork, adding his own completely un-necessary narration. The delusion that this constitutes anything like an improvement over the original is sad sad proof of the decline of his sensibilities.