1. João CC.'s rating of the film The Great Dictator

So, you want to be funny, ah?

2. Marach Adipalin's rating of the film The Great Dictator

I asked myself a lot, "What's a perfect film?". After watching the Great Dictator, I've come to a conclusion that there are no perfect films... But few of them have perfect endings. The Great Dictator is one of them, I was bothered by the plot-driven story, but the ending gave it all away.

3. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Great Dictator

4. filmingilman's rating of the film The Great Dictator

One of those films in which I appreciate it's importance in history and film history, but ultimately had difficulty connecting with. Scathing satire and admirable performances, the scenes with Jack Oakie are particularly memorable.

5. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Chaplin’s infamous uncompromising faux Hitler imitation. Even those unfamiliar with cinema must’ve seen his speech on facebook at some point in their lives, that’s just because it is relevant even today. Chaplin did not waste any time with his first true talkie.

6. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Great Dictator

7. josh's rating of the film The Great Dictator

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Délicieuse parodie, cinglante et brillante, dénonçant avec force et conviction, la montée du nazisme. www.cinefiches.com

9. Luca Angelini's rating of the film The Great Dictator

10. freskonthesfenks's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Sarcastic comedy has fully done its job in this film. It gives us real anecdotes about those times. The psychology techniques, relationship between Hitler and Mussolini, pressure on the soldiers and so many things like those have greatly shown.

11. MistaRichard's rating of the film The Great Dictator

That final speech... *kisses hand italian style*

12. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Much as I appreciate the daring artistic risks made with this movie, I think its relative dearth of conflict really hurts it, especially as a two-hour film. I'd say the gags are about 50/50 (some of the political gags are really clever), and the blunt-force moralizing by way of the heroine is a tad hard to stomach, but the real issues pertain to conflict and trouble with properly balancing the two lead characters.

13. Diogo Pires's rating of the film The Great Dictator

always be friends with someone who looks like a dictator. 4,5

14. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film The Great Dictator

More than just the final speech

15. Catalina Bordeanu's rating of the film The Great Dictator

16. EdzeronK's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Un classique mais pas banal.

17. yovargas's rating of the film The Great Dictator

I'd hoped that adding sound would make Chaplin more interesting. NOPE. Somehow, the jokes feel even more dated and the gags fall even flatter. How many times do I need to watch this man fall over??? The story is a tonal mess, whiplashing wildly around from ultra-serious to goofy slapstick and back. And Chaplin plays two characters which comes off as a bizarre, nonsensical gimmick. A total train wreck. It gets an F.

18. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film The Great Dictator

to say that I really, really needed to hear the speech at the end, happening to see this for the first time in a theater the day of the Orlando massacre, would be the understatement of the decade

19. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Great Dictator

I find it to be very strange: the odd rhythms of someone who had resisted dialogued scenes for quite long, the adaptation of a kind of comedy to darker times (Chaplin had never been naive, though). Sometimes it succeeds (coins and puddings, puppet masses, a canary,...), and other times film had to give way to more urgent ways of communication (yes, I mean the ending, with one or two fallacies, but powerfully acted).

20. Ethan's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Chaplin's first full talkie is one of the most powerful statements the cinema has ever made. This was controversy before Rogen and Franco came out with The Interview. In all fairness, Chaplin had the mustache before Hitler did. This is also a good example of how comedy can be used to talk about serious issues.

21. cinegeek.de's rating of the film The Great Dictator

Our Daily Free Stream: Charles Chaplin - The Great dictator. Zum Geburtstag von Charlie Chaplin! - 1938 begann der grösste Filmstar der Welt einen Film vorzubereiten über das Monster des 20. Jahrhunderts. Ein bisschen ähnelte Charlie Chaplin Adolf Hitler, zumindest trugen beide denselben Schnurrbart. Auf dieser Gemeinsamkeit baut die Satire The Great Dictator auf(...)

22. ammar's rating of the film The Great Dictator

23. James Mackin's rating of the film The Great Dictator

I'm all about this film. Chaplin plays both the Tramp as a Jewish barber, and Hitler. So that's fun.

24. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Great Dictator

One of the most effective satires ever made, and how best to respond to Hitler stigmatising his ruddy tache. The film also transcends this initial gimmick, creating a humane and moving drama amidst all the excellently deployed satirical camaraderie.

← Previous 1 3 4