1. José Neves's rating of the film The Great Gabbo

35mm. A film limited by the technical conditions of the period in which it was produced, the beginnings of talkies, which, although it possesses in potency an additive history of madness, fails to obtain it, although the final, clearly forced, try to give the corresponding images to the state of a psychotic interiority. Stroheim is what matters most, but the film was not co-directed by him, contrary to what appears.

2. chanandre's rating of the film The Great Gabbo

"We only take out of life what we put into it.">in 2017 this sounds like a Tumblr/Facebook quote. Yet, that doesn't mean it doesn't actually contain truth within. It does. I thought he'd off himself. Instead he 'merely' walked away from it all. The Great Gabbo>He Great Gabbo>Eat Gabbo>Ho(bo?). Those surrealistic spider webs sets reminded me of Wiene's/Warm's sets and those musical numbers would make Busby so jealous.

3. msmichel's rating of the film The Great Gabbo

Miscalculated Von Stroheim vehicle directed by James Cruze that casts him as an egotistical ventriloquist who throws away the one woman who loved him. Two years later they find themselves in the same show and he begins to unravel. Pretty awful really especially the terrible musical numbers and songs. Mind you the dance number during 'Caught in the Web' is somewhat impressive. A curio at best.