1. bardley's rating of the film The Great McGinty

definitely on of my top six or seven preston sturges films.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film The Great McGinty

A corrupt hobo sounds good right about now...

3. grotescsetorg's rating of the film The Great McGinty

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Great McGinty

Donlevy and Tamiroff work off each other excellently here. Real chemistry. A bizarre story, opening with a suicide attempt of all things, but this is Sturges after all so anything goes. A great commentary on our screwed up political system, think Mr. Smith Goes To Wash. with a dose of cynicism. The only thing for me about the film I didn't care for was the ending. Felt too rushed. Otherwise, awesome. 4.5 stars

5. matelot's rating of the film The Great McGinty

6. Emily O's rating of the film The Great McGinty

the lighter side of political corruption. as long as theres enough weird egg liquor to go around!

7. Algitya's rating of the film The Great McGinty

just..let the quirk entertained you by itselves.. ;)

8. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film The Great McGinty

Another Sturges piece ahead of its timeā€¦ let's just face it, his entire filmography was decades ahead of its time. "The Great McGinty" might not be his best effort but it still is a relevant piece of thought-provoking ethics with a touch of cynicism.

9. Michael Goetz's rating of the film The Great McGinty

Few comedies begin with a despairing drunkard's suicide attempt, but that's Sturges for you. Here he turns his scabrous vision on US politics, an unremitting cesspool of graft, demagoguery, and fraud. Donleavy is good as the sleazy bum who works his way to governor and tries to go straight. He winds up disgraced, divorced, a fugitive tending bar in a Third World backwater. In America, honesty is for suckers.

10. Charles Coleman's rating of the film The Great McGinty

3 1/2. The movie tails off towards the end but most of the film is quite good. Much more dramatic than comedy, excellent performances by everyone involved, and an ending that will leave many unsatisfied but on second glance it's an adorably cheeky ending.

11. wolfmansRazor's rating of the film The Great McGinty

This is a land of great opportunity! As long as you have no ideals and you're willing to rough up the right people. After working on a campaign for 3 months, I watched TGM the day after election day. In some ways it made me long for the days of blatant graft. Sure would have made my job more lucrative! But, alas, today politics attracts jellyfish like me.

12. Suzette Smith's rating of the film The Great McGinty

There's a girl and some kids in there but this movie is really about the relationship/friendship between McGinty and The Boss.