1. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Es como un "Rocky" sin Paulie y ese discurso del sueño americano. El filme de Kuosmanen no es el retrato de un deportista o una proeza deportiva, es una historia de amor. "Rocky" de alguna u otra forma también lo es, aunque no deja de ser un filme sobre la superación personal. Olli Maki no es eso. Es la inclinación por un romance. Dos personajes que son (porque es así a fin de cuentas) egoístas frente a su alrededor.

2. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

3. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Least boxing in a boxing movie ever? I know, I know, it isn't actually a boxing movie, but you know what it is? Extremely delightful.

4. ShawnD's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

I loved this movie. It doesn't break new ground in any meaningful way, but the black and white is stunning and the simple story is refreshing: a boxer, on the eve of the professional opportunity of a lifetime, falls in love, and with that comes a wave of non-pugilistic emotions. The movie is filled with humanity in all its funny, conflicted, struggling glory.

5. Diderot's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Lighthearted, quiet, and adorable behind-the-scenes look at the life of a boxer in Finland. Gotta love the Finns and their sexy sauna scenes.

6. Brian Marks's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Olli Mäki is charming, if a bit slight. The 16mm black & white is an essential, perfect touch—reminds me of Truffaut, and even more recent films like Frances Ha. It was a wise choice to have very little actual boxing in a boxing film; aside from Raging Bull, few films manage to depict the sport in an interesting way. Mäki's struggles with training and his romance are far more interesting.

7. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

A beautiful, touching film, soft spoken and straight. Runs against the grain....the texture is gripping, the acting subtle yet captivating.

8. katballo's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

such a sweet movie and really beautifully shot. very much worth it.

9. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

A great indie movie that shows that sometimes our battles we care the most are fought outside our work. It also reminds me that sometimes the things we love get ruined by the business of it. Thanks MUBI for showing us this great movie.

10. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Well made, non-sensational, yet warm with hearty b&w compositions, characters, and dare I say, a climate of integrity. I predict it a perennial gem.

11. moviedream's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Fantastic movie. Wonderful performances and script. One of the best films I've seen in years. I definitely recommend this film to everyone! Remarkable direction and heartwarming realistic acting. As good as it gets.

12. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

A grotesque display of unrepentant optimism in the face of systemic failure. This movie is dangerous, perhaps even toxic.

13. aliasgenius's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Beautifully crafted. 4.5/5

14. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

(3.5 stars) A perfectly fine and enjoyable boxing movie that revolves around an upcoming championship match of a small boxer. It's an in-depth character study framed in the world of featherweight boxing. Interesting and well-filmed in black and white, it has a certain old school look and charm about it.

15. Federico's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

16. João Portalegre's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

I'm very fond of very simple films, but the constant pacing, helped by poor editing decisions (which actually, I think, make the message suffer), predictable sound design and somewhat plain and too few characters ultimately hurt my experience of what could have been a very sweet film. as it stands, it's just too okay.

17. Mike Dempsey's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Heartwarming film about what truly matters in life. There are so many shared human issues in this film. A truly universal film.

18. factorfifty@gmail.com's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

hardly a knockout but I did last the distance

19. Pango's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Heartwarming and beautifully crafted film.

20. McOpinionated's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

21. UnbrandedFilms's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

What you get when the camera catches both the intensity of the action and the depth of raw, unmanipulated feelings, is great storytelling. And that is Filmmaking! Another gem out of Finland.

22. Superfrog's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

Guy does boxing ? I was not paying 100% attention as I was repairing curtains at the same time, did I miss something past the great photography ?

23. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

authentic, refined, wholesome simulacrum of '60s Continental cinema.puts 16mm up there where it belongs. It doesn't quite transcend the format, but why should it ? The opening scene promises more magic than is finally delivered ... but then.. why should it deliver more ?

24. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki

In a sixties feel and b&w world and heavy cameras, the trembling camera around here makes me nauseous. Kind of Dogma son, this is a great piece of work, when we have to fight fights that we don't believe anymore.