1. Renton47's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

I legitimately loved the singing and dancing but I can't help but feel Miike works better with constraints; by attempting to reference and skew so many genres the film is left aimless and exhausted. The breadcrumbs of explanations frustrate matters, and it doesn't help the same person made a family comedy as good as Visitor Q. Then again, how many films boast this much comedic/visual/genre excellence... 2.5

2. Pango's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

Unique, funny, and REALLY weird.

3. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

I wish the stop-motion intro had have been extended to the length of the whole film. Otherwise I remember finding it quite crass and corny despite really liking the premise.

4. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

I'll give "The Happiness of the Katakuris" credit when credit is due. Above all else this film is definitely unique... I can't think of another film like it! This might be the best Japanese horror, comedy musical of all time? If only because I don't think there are any other Japanese horror, comedy musicals in existence... I totally get the appeal of this movie, but personally I just didn't connect to it.

5. runfromfire's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

The first chapter, which I like to call "Errybody Eatin' Errybody" gets a weirdness score of 7 on the Švankmajer Scale. Beyond that it's just fun, silly and, in the end, really just a flick about family sticking together no matter what. Kinda hard to hate it, really. Plus, the fact that it came out the same year as Ichi makes it like 1000x better.

6. Richard's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

I wondered what the hell was I watching, I laughed, I cried, wondered some more, rinse, repeat. Great stuff.

7. RadricDavis's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

Takashi Miike always bringing the heat.

8. Nicholas Kohut's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

Takashi Miike never ceases to change everything we know about storytelling. An refreshing break from his typical uber-violent crime dramas (and very likely overshadowed by the instant-classic Ichie the Killer), The Happiness of the Katakuris is a beautiful piece on family and the power of love in the most trying of times. Each chapter of this film blew my expectations over like a thin stack of papers.

9. VivianDarkbloom's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

An R Rated Family Comedy (Horror), this is a first. OH MY GOD

10. Randolph Handel's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

If watched when it came out, it would have possibly left a stronger impression, but as satire is wont to do, its age shows. Of course, that is part of its joke as it parodies one genre after another with cheesy video effects and ridiculous musical numbers better fit for the late 80s, but as beloved as this film seems to be, it falls short--as if Miike were distracted by the seven other films he directed that year.

11. David Richards's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

Very funny and full of surprises. I liked the use of clay-mation and the art direction in general.

12. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

It is easy to focus only on the outrageously unique style (bizarroland horror-comedy! with stop-motion!). But the characters and narrative is really something out of an Ozu wholesale catalog, all of them brilliantly conceived. It only helps that they happen to sing and dance and bury dead people.

13. clairekristof's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

14. Justin Hall's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

15. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

Miike the man. Delightfully strange and utterly bizarre (just like Japanese television is to me). Tongue-in-cheek musical numbers mixed with puppetry, claymation, horror, detective drama, slapstick comedy and a variety of other genres. Like a big old genre soup of wonderful fun!!! I laughed my butt off and marveled at the craft of Miike. There's a KARAOKE number in this movie too!!! CRAZY and cool!!! Must see!

16. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

I've never before seen such a wild, weird and crazy genre mix...

17. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

18. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

19. Matt's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

A Japanese 'Oklahoma'?

20. iaindewar320@o2.co.uk's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

21. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

One of a kind, that Miike. Mostly coherent, plenty lunacy, sensed a drift into whimsy, but stuck with happily bonkers

22. peli-sopher's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

23. Billy Casper's World's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris

A crazy, fun and imaginative film. The opening animation scene is hilarious, creative and poetic. The rest of the film doesn't live up to the animation but it's a fun film to watch.

24. AP's rating of the film The Happiness of the Katakuris