1. Log Lady's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Maybe I didn't fully understand the reasons for all the praise, but the cringey and perpetually unhappy protagonist is so immature, that all his crap, I admit, is kinda funny and entertaining. Shepherd is gorgeous as always, but portrays Kelly in her own subtle way which makes her more than just a pretty face.

2. José Neves's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

35mm. From the period that Bacharach and David were creating jewels and that Neil Simon was a reference playwright, a film that, although more modest from a point of view of formal boldness, takes advantage and develops with immense pleasure the performance of an organic visual writing with actors, as Cassavetes defined. With Shepherd's sheer beauty and talent and Grodin's unsurpassable slow mood.

3. Severus Snape's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

4. mlstrx's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

4.5. i hate how much i relate to this character, but seriously

5. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

One of Simon's best, and possibly Grodins most memorable role. The film succeeds in taking many familiar plot devices and making them feel fresh and new. One of the best early 70s comedies

6. courtneylesueur's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Jeannie Berlin is terrific in this, so is Charles Grodin.

7. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

"The PLO was bombing over there and a cruise ship had been taken hostage ...and then Elaine May was causing problems..." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/08/episode-26-subject-of-this-episode-is.html

8. Steve G.'s rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Takes all the bits from the traditional romantic comedy (klutz lead guy, hot 'other' babe, disapproving father, lovely but uncultured wife) and does things with them that are fresher, funnier, more biting and more affecting than anything being done in the genre 43 years later. Even if Charles Grodin's performance got all the acclaim and praise it deserves, it still wouldn't be enough.

9. Polyglot's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Lesson: You don't know what you have until you have it then what you have you don't want anymore. Huh?

10. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

no lying in that beef, no siree

11. Francisco's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

The prices on eBay are ridiculously high since the DVD is out of print. I hope this and A New Leaf get a reigon 1 release soon. Also, the review link on the left is to the wrong film (the Ben Stiller one).

12. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Las escenas entre el señor Corcoran y Lenny son verdaderamente hilarantes. Cybill Sheperd, probablemente, nunca ha salido tan hermosa, encantadora y ligeramente "bitch" como en esta película. Sin embargo, la película dista mucho de estar lograda por culpa de una dirección a veces carente de ritmo y un montaje algo desmañado y torpe.

13. tiago's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Elaine May is really something, isn't she? Uncompromising piece of work, comic and cruel in equal measure, and the cast is simply brilliant.

14. Emily Piellusch's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

This film could have been so much better if it were a short that ened right after the scene where Lenny meets Kelly on the beach. Lenny's disgust of his wife climaxes, and then he encounters the woman of his dreams whose appearance is obscured by the glow of sunlight surrounding her. Perfect.

15. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Tragicomic look at the trials and tribulations of love for young newlyweds. Poignancy and bitterness in constant balance.

16. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Almost impossible not to laugh while cringing at Charles Grodin's ridiculous shenanigans. He's perfect in a perfect role (for him). J.Berlin is hysterical

17. DK's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

Another disappointment a la (the superior) Goodbye, Columbus and yet another film supposedly as good as The Graduate. Some nice sun-burned photography here, but not enough to save the silliness. Grodin borders on a sub-par Steve Martin and is totally unsympathetic. After this and Mickey and Nicky. I've given up on Elaine May.

18. rynmcgnns's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

I winced more than I laughed, but that's to the film's credit. Really takes a left turn in the final ten minutes or so when we see Grodin navigating his new milieu.

19. chris naughton's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

May is one of my favorite directors. Great film. There's so much to say about this - most of us don't know what we are doing or why we are doing it. But, it may have something to do w/ the deep programming of insisting on having our "best" version of life regardless of consequences. Like the graduation speech: "go out there and get exactly what you want, dont let anyone stand in your way". Is that really a good idea?

20. itstheresomewhere's rating of the film The Heartbreak Kid

"You think I'm making it up? My God!!!!"