1. le Gars's rating of the film The Heiress

2. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Heiress

I haven't read James' 'Washington Square' so I don't know if the most interesting themes are from the novel or the film (or the intermediate play). Still, to put it in an oversimplified way, I prefer to enjoy movies for their style, which might suggest themes, than for their themes, supported by a subordinate style. This case is the latter, but anyway, it's good.

3. LauraPalmer's rating of the film The Heiress

She's the muse. Masterpiece.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Heiress

Une superbe et magistrale présence d'Olivia de Havilland à la remarquable et puissante interprétation, pour une œuvre de grande qualité... www.cinefiches.com

5. Terri Wise's rating of the film The Heiress

This film was a revelation for me. Montgomery Clift was more than a pretty face--but what an exceptionally pretty face it was. Olivia de Havilland is excellent. I'm stingy with 5-star ratings, but I'm going there, in part because of the uncompromising ending, all the more remarkable for a Hollywood film released in 1949.

6. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film The Heiress

7. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Heiress

The most compelling and artful performance Olivia de Havilland ever gave. She was never a great actress but she was dedicated. William Wyler lifted her. Playing opposite Montgomery Clift and Ralph Richardson didn't hurt either.

8. eugenie de sade's rating of the film The Heiress

9. Aardsy's rating of the film The Heiress

I believe in love, but what else can I do?

10. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Heiress

Another masterpiece in Wylers impeccable catalog, this one is all about the performances. De Havilland deserved the Oscar here, as her portayal is just flawless as she takes her character through a complete 180 turn from beginning to end. Clift plays her suitor quite well, giving a rather understated performance. Just a classic, seek it out asap.

11. Ana Sousa's rating of the film The Heiress

Foully unknown and underrated. de Havilland goes from sweet, innocent and naive to a scary I-will-not-be-fooled-again only with her eyes. Brilliant acting. One-liners that hit you and leave you gasping. "He must come. He must take me away. He must love me, he must..." ♥♥♥

12. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Heiress

13. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Heiress

4 Academy awards and 3 other nominations. I liked the way Wyler pictured Montgomery Clift's character whose motivation will always stay unclear to the audience. Highly recommended.

14. msmichel's rating of the film The Heiress

Excellent adaptation of Henry James' 'Washington Square' featuring an oscar winning performance by De Havilland aided by strong turns by Clift and especially Richardson (way too young to be cast as her father). The story is somewhat timeless and still packs a punch today as a woman cosigned to being an old maid suddenly finds a suitor who may have an agenda of his own. Final sequence ranks amongst the best finales.

15. Tonda's rating of the film The Heiress

Yet more proof that Wyler > Wilder

16. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Heiress

17. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Heiress

an exuberant masterpiece, a 9/10, my review: http://lasttimeisawdotcom.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/last-film-i-saw-the-heiress/

18. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film The Heiress

19. MarcH's rating of the film The Heiress

20. Echydo's rating of the film The Heiress

Great depiction of a 180 degree turnaround in a character's personality. What is most remarkable to me is the acting: excellent.

21. Lorena M.'s rating of the film The Heiress

I love Olivia she's one of the best for sure, I can relate so much to her role in this film, she did an amazing job as she usually does and Clift was good too.

22. Yuki Aditya's rating of the film The Heiress

while it seems it ends happily, it's in fact very tragic and depressing.

23. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film The Heiress

this film has an amazing ending. and who can't resist monty clift? C'MON!