1. Nuno J. F. Fernandes's rating of the film The Hole

2. Chearth's rating of the film The Hole

3. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Hole

A weirdly hilarious melange of Mauvais sang and Shivers, blended with a very political premise. In these sort of apartment apocalypse movies, the characters tend to band together and making a mess of things (see e.g. High-Rise, Fireworks Wednesday); it's refreshing to see the characters here live out the resulting problems alone, for it makes the conclusion all the sweeter.

4. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Hole

One of TML's more comedic approaches on his running motifs of loneliness, seclusion, depravity, etc. I can't take you seriously if you don't appreciate or at least acknowledge this man's genius. What is the extent of your film knowledge? How do you qualify your 'taste'? Hate to be a snob but subjectivism only goes so far when a body of work is objectively considered great film making. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Hole

(35mm, but it looks like it a 16mm: can anyone verify?) I was a bit disillusioned with the film, that has a somewhat lazy narrative — I wonder if the 69 minutes long TV cut (for Arte) is not a more cohesive one. Despite the unevenness of the film, the songs are irresistible and a genuine stun, and the hole rests toujours a mistery.

6. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Hole

7. maksym hruszczenko's rating of the film The Hole

Саме так як я інколи зачаровано спостерігаю за рухом води, не помічаючи плину часу, я дивлюся фільми Цай Мінляна, розмірені, неквапливі, небагатослівні, лаконічні, але разом з тим дуже красномовні та об'ємисті. Сцена, в якій він піднімає її через дірку в стелі - неймовірно сильна за змістовністю та красою кадру.

8. daftnymph's rating of the film The Hole

accidental portals / accidental connections

9. Utlaningaar's rating of the film The Hole

makes your heart ache for time to time

10. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Hole

11. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Hole

12. Khach Glauberrocha's rating of the film The Hole

13. Gisèle Kérosène's rating of the film The Hole

14. ionu's rating of the film The Hole

15. Kamran's rating of the film The Hole

Sometimes unsettling or surreal, atmospherically charged, eccentric and sexual, perverse, dark yet illuminating. 84/100 - Great.

16. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Hole

I will always cherish this movie for introducing me to Grace Chang's music.

17. Adriano Rocha's rating of the film The Hole

An apocalyptic vision that scares for being so realistic, interspersed with a dreamlike vision that releases tension of the film. Excellent.

18. Samuel Donath's rating of the film The Hole

Fantastic. I wish the Criterion Collection would release this.

19. uenus's rating of the film The Hole

tiene algo con los departamentos, o no?

20. wildisthewind's rating of the film The Hole

21. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Hole

More than the transcendent sound design, the frame-by-frame onslaught of almost-unbearable cinematographic beauty, the scathing hyperrealism, the lush textures and sumptuous palette, the bewitching magic of the plot (and the musical numbers! Gah!), I'm grateful for the plausibility of all those reasons so I don't have to admit that, really, it's that Tsai somehow made it through to my wary, walled-up little heart.

22. pandakuma's rating of the film The Hole

somewhat stereotyping men-women relationship when men keep making faults, and women fix it. but nonetheless i like it as a whole film. it's eccentric in ming-liang's way.

23. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Hole

Lo mejor de Ming Liang hasta esa fecha. Una comedia y musical sutil en tiempos de la paranoia, tiempo en que todo parece utopía pero el amor nace fruto hasta de las consecuencias más absurdas.

24. João Eça's rating of the film The Hole

Tsai obviously rejects emotional cinema, producing instead conceptual forms. The problem is that his ideas about reality are basic, and his films end up being the most boring and empty I've watched since Béla Tarr. The dream sequences, for instance, could have been thought by a child. What we have in this film are bodies, but cinema is about characters and not flesh. After 10 or 20 minutes, no one cares anymore.