1. Marlboro_Fawn's rating of the film The Hole

Musical numbers used as moments of brief escapism in a world that seems to be on its last legs. The hole itself struck me as a means of breaking through the intractable structures that are dictated by doors/bells/walls. The couple never knock on each other's doors (they barely speak), but through an accidental hole, they can maybe transcend their sorry fate.

2. Rafael Zen's rating of the film The Hole

A very intuitive cinema emerges when Ming-Liang reaches a creative process that won't stop overflowing daily scenes with apocaliptic gray places. Leaning upon images instead of a propper plot, he develops the mood his storytelling requires: mundane, decadent, lost within its own faith - but grasping for hope in the form of music dream and poetic escapes

3. Nuno J. F. Fernandes's rating of the film The Hole

4. Chearth's rating of the film The Hole

5. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Hole

A weirdly hilarious melange of Mauvais sang and Shivers, blended with a very political premise. In these sort of apartment apocalypse movies, the characters tend to band together and making a mess of things (see e.g. High-Rise, Fireworks Wednesday); it's refreshing to see the characters here live out the resulting problems alone, for it makes the conclusion all the sweeter.

6. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Hole

One of TML's more comedic approaches on his running motifs of loneliness, seclusion, depravity, etc. I can't take you seriously if you don't appreciate or at least acknowledge this man's genius. What is the extent of your film knowledge? How do you qualify your 'taste'? Hate to be a snob but subjectivism only goes so far when a body of work is objectively considered great film making. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Hole

(35mm, but it looks like it a 16mm: can anyone verify?) I was a bit disillusioned with the film, that has a somewhat lazy narrative — I wonder if the 69 minutes long TV cut (for Arte) is not a more cohesive one. Despite the unevenness of the film, the songs are irresistible and a genuine stun, and the hole rests toujours a mistery.

8. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Hole

9. maksym hruszczenko's rating of the film The Hole

Саме так як я інколи зачаровано спостерігаю за рухом води, не помічаючи плину часу, я дивлюся фільми Цай Мінляна, розмірені, неквапливі, небагатослівні, лаконічні, але разом з тим дуже красномовні та об'ємисті. Сцена, в якій він піднімає її через дірку в стелі - неймовірно сильна за змістовністю та красою кадру.

10. daftnymph's rating of the film The Hole

accidental portals / accidental connections

11. Utlaningaar's rating of the film The Hole

makes your heart ache for time to time

12. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Hole

13. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Hole

14. Khach Glauberrocha's rating of the film The Hole

15. Gisèle Kérosène's rating of the film The Hole

16. ionu's rating of the film The Hole

17. Kamran's rating of the film The Hole

Sometimes unsettling or surreal, atmospherically charged, eccentric and sexual, perverse, dark yet illuminating. 84/100 - Great.

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Hole

I will always cherish this movie for introducing me to Grace Chang's music.

19. Adriano Rocha's rating of the film The Hole

An apocalyptic vision that scares for being so realistic, interspersed with a dreamlike vision that releases tension of the film. Excellent.

20. Samuel Donath's rating of the film The Hole

Fantastic. I wish the Criterion Collection would release this.

21. uenus's rating of the film The Hole

tiene algo con los departamentos, o no?

22. wildisthewind's rating of the film The Hole

23. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Hole

More than the transcendent sound design, the frame-by-frame onslaught of almost-unbearable cinematographic beauty, the scathing hyperrealism, the lush textures and sumptuous palette, the bewitching magic of the plot (and the musical numbers! Gah!), I'm grateful for the plausibility of all those reasons so I don't have to admit that, really, it's that Tsai somehow made it through to my wary, walled-up little heart.

24. pandakuma's rating of the film The Hole

somewhat stereotyping men-women relationship when men keep making faults, and women fix it. but nonetheless i like it as a whole film. it's eccentric in ming-liang's way.