1. richardlawrn's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

Glenn and Meryl together were like magic! What a pleasure it is to watch them perform. This film is one of the most enticing I've ever watched. The atmosphere in the house and how they display the characters' personalities through their clothes, i.e. Clara always with light, soft colors and Ferula wearing black, heavy clothes. I'd like to watch them together in another film!

2. thivai abhor's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

Great source material, notable cast, yet it comes off as a banal telenovela - very disappointing

3. Ahmed Hasan's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

4. Linn's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

Certainly this film is not a great adaptation of Allende's finest book. Nonetheless, for me an emotionally gripping part of the 90ies with great performances of Meryl Streep, Glenn Close and also to a lesser extend Winona Ryder. An embrace of love, spirituality and commitment. Minus two stars, for the ridiculous mix of accents, the score and the shallow ending.

5. Tisa's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

Is this as good as the book? Can you feel Isabel Allende's tone and voice in this?

6. capricorn-aries's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

7. Arisa's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

They should re-do this, perhaps (as mentioned below) in a mini-series, since the novel almost epic. However, considering some of the content, it would probably have to be on Showtime or something... Either way, it ought to be redone. And I think Benicio del Toro would be perfect as Esteban Trueba.

8. jsaez's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

Not very good (magical realism rarely translates on the big screen), but Glenn Close is chilly and effective in the role of Férula. Winona (as much as I love her) was undoubtedly the biggest casting mistake.

9. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

One of the best examples of a movie being inferior to the novel. A mistake was to downplay the spirituality and,for such a passionate story, making the characters seem aloof.

10. Jack Lineman's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

Jeremy Irons is perfect in this the first time I ever liked him in a film. Now the film should have been adapted into a limited series for tv 4-6 hours and half the cast should of been replaced.

11. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

always the comparison with books... funny... - every reader has his own imagination..! a great dramatic/politic movie in the time of the workers movement in Chile, including a touch of love..! i really don't like love-movies, but this one has more ambition about the situation than love - so it was very great & i really like it..!

12. Luci Hoepers's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

An excellent movie with some of the greatest actors ever :)

13. Arcanus's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

I saw this on TV last night. What a pig's breakfast. By that I mean it was a jumble and a mess. Much of the photography was excellent and Glenn Glose was very creepy as the sister. But the mis-casting was truly staggering: Jeremy Irons was totally unbelievable as Estaban, varying from mad brutality to repentant sloppy senility, his accent a weird and variable mixture of transatlanticism. Continued in 2nd post.....

14. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

With repeated viewings, this one grows on you...there must be an unedited version SOMEWHERE

15. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film The House of the Spirits

i wish PBS would make this into a mini-series. so much potential lost on such a huge piece of poo.