1. kartina obskura's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

By far my favourite Italian Giallo

3. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

4. Samuel Righi's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

5. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Despite that lesser known than his contemporaries, Pupi Avati figures among Italian maestros of suspense and stylish horror. Despite a rather goofy denouement this one is definitely catchy and mysteriously enthralling. The savage countryside and religious setting definitely help the purpose.

6. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

7. Graveyard Poet's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Released on August 16, 1976, this is, by far, the creepiest giallo. Unlike most giallos released in the 1970s (which are violent, stylish set pieces), the bizarre mystery at the heart of this film lingers in the viewer's subconscious. Perhaps the most deeply disturbing ending of any giallo.

8. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

se amate l'horror, non potete perdervelo

9. Luca Soldati's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Meravigliosa opera che disturba e inquieta. La storia è costruita molto bene e, con un ritmo rilassato, riesce ad appassionare molto. I personaggi sono ben caratterizzati e il pittore è una figura palpabile, nonostante non appaia quasi mai. La regia è ottima e glaciale, presentando tutto in maniera neutra e spietata. Bellissimo il finale e molto interessante il paese nel mantenere a tutti i costi un segreto scomodo.

10. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

***1/2. Atmospheric mystery thriller. Here, it's not a matter of Art imitating Life but rather a matter of Life imitating Art. I pecularly liked the formaldehyde scene and the quality of the acting in this film. A good surprise. Highly recommended.

11. Nick Schwab's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Tries for atmospheric dread, but often falls into the dull type of giallos that are padded in plot with no real story, and it's too languid in pace to keep interesting. Since the main actor basically just walks around and investigates, the film lacks emotion and tension, and it's often scareless. Thus, the ominousness doesn't go anywhere until the end that's (finally) horrific and downbeat.

12. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

This film traumatized me for reasons that I cannot quite explain when I was a kid. Most giallo fans venerate Argento, but this twisted gem from Pupi Avati about directly speaks to your subconscious. The viewing experience is akin to a slow, inexorable descent into sheer madness. The dreadful mood of this sleepy Italian provincial town will haunt you forever. Argento got nothing on Avati.

13. film_lies101's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

If the lead was played by a different actor this would definitely rate higher

14. Arf's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

15. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

16. Pymo's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

17. Kris Visser's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

I watched this movie tonight. There were no subtitles, but I did not need subtitles to know they were talking Italian

18. Emma Joye's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Don't know if I'm giving it a 3 or a 4. The music was one of the scariest sounds in the movie and really set the mood, and that was the most important thing. Thinking that the story and the characters weren't that new or original. No jump scares, but you'll get a real uneasy feeling when watching this.

19. liesbet vanessche's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

A creepy atmosphere. The music was really good, there was so much tension but in the end, the story left me somewhat dissapointed!

20. Robert Karol's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Moody and surreal giallo that mostly eschews gore for a creepy atmosphere. If David Lynch made a giallo, it would be this movie. Don't come to this looking for gruesome kills. But unlike most giallo, the mystery is actually very effective and (mostly) makes sense.

21. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

To be honest, it left me a little bit disappointed. Mood is great, directing so so, but intrigue full of loop holes and irritating jumps not saying that there's virtually no nudity and lack of genuine visual bestiality. This is good giallo, but still light years from the best in this genre.

22. Cameron Buckley's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

This is one hell of a Giallo. Or is it? Definitely a slow one, but really knows how to build a mystery. 4/5

23. HKFanatic's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

Slow-paced but not in the usual way: director Pupi Avati builds layers of tension and mystery instead of just padding out screentime. Lead actor Lino Capolicchio is a total non-presence onscreen but Francesca Marciano makes up for it by being one of the loveliest actresses I've ever laid eyes on. The ending may amount to a "gotcha!" gag but overall this is a superior Italian horror film. A giallo that isn't a giallo.

24. ExperimentoFilm's rating of the film The House with Laughing Windows

This film must have been directed by one sick Pupi.