1. Barajag's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Two Russian submarines where the entire crew speaks English?!? I don't think so...

2. lucia lurzo's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

3. Victoria L.'s rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Even though the cast is "heavy", the cinematography is as good as it could be at the given time and one could easily put a full stop right there, I got the impression that the story was somewhat insulting to both parties and eventually its audience. As if warfare is a fun game on the hands of likeable characters that we should look upon or even sympathize with.

4. E's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

McTiernan is a master, and this film is just oozing style through every orifice. Sure, it's a silly Tom Clancy adaptation, but the performances are stellar and McT's personal study in cinema gives him an edge over other action directors. 'I cut my teeth in european films'; tell that to Joe silver or Luc Besson.

5. Joe Zaydon's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Ridiculously entertaining. Alec Baldwin was never cooler.

6. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

The transition into English is handled pretty well and it's surprising that more films haven't borrowed it.

7. Ethan's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

My all time favorite submarine movie. Sean Connery is still badass even if his Russian accent sounds a little Scottish. As a matter of fact, John McTiernan was pretty liberal with his actors when it came to having the proper accents. All that aside this movie is still pretty badass.

8. Operation Kino's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

9. Chris's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Completely unrealistic - who would ever want to go to Montana?

10. SlinkyLi's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Tense and engaging, thanks to reasonable but strong plot

11. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

12. João Eça's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

In one of the last scenes Sean Connery (a soviet) and Alec Baldwin (an american) talk about fishing and childhood. That's the most interesting scene of the film, because nations and politics aside both characters discover humanity in each other. Not enough to save a routine war flick full of McTiernan's frantic and annoying camera movements.

13. Mike A's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

The visual flourishes are too irregular and clumsy to work, but McT. seems good at characterization--the casting and performances create as much definition for the ensemble as the script. Baldwin's sketch of Jack Ryan is good, his "action" scene aside, and Connery, Glenn and Vance lead a cast that shines right down to the bit parts. The film plays like a good sports game: leisurely paced but punctuated with thrills.

14. msmichel's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Twenty years on picture actually looks pretty good. Baldwin definately miscast here and is the weakest part of the film. Connery, Glenn and Skarsgaard very well cast. Academy award winning sound certainly added to the atmosphere in this suspenseful and crowd pleasing film.

15. Ottori Tekki Chan's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

16. Dave's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

This would be my favorite McTiernan movie and deserves a place in my 90s list. Even if I am a sucker for Cold War movies, regardless, this is just an incredibly well-made film. I won't try and compare to some other lauded sub movies, but I do know that in terms of personal enjoyment, this one ranks above all those others.

17. Christopher's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

This was the first DVD I ever owned, oddly every person I've ever met has said that theirs was The Matrix.

18. mjgildea's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

3 1/2 out of 5 stars. For a movie my dad dragged me to when I was 15 it holds up well. Nearly 25 years later I can definitely appreciate The Hunt for Red October much more. Connery is a goliath, dwarfing everyone else who shares a scene with him. Baldwin's impressions were funny but he's definitely miscast here. McTiernan's direction is intermittently iffy for me but it works here. Second viewing was much better.

19. Alan Funkle's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

terrific and a believable defection movie. Sad that alec baldwin feels his movie career is a failure and he didnt do any good movies, I would say this and beetlejuice are my favorite baldwin films, I even liked him in the shadow. Its a huge sign of respect for me as harrison ford is my favorite actor, I like Baldwin better as Jack Ryan however. One of the greatest sub movies ever made other than das boot.

20. Easton Dubois's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Whilst this movie is a classic, I'd prefer the title to be a little less offensive. Native American October please.

21. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

obviously the best of all the jack ryan movies.

22. Spencer Draper's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

If only "action" films were as well done as this today. It is unbelievably good-you just can't help it. And yes, Connery is supposed to be a Soviet submarine commander-and it works.

23. Johnny DuBiel's rating of the film The Hunt for Red October

Still to date the only submarine movie made that doesn't completely pale in comparison to 'Das Boot'