1. Louis Léonard's rating of the film The Hustler

2. Mahda Purmahdi's rating of the film The Hustler

4.5 Moralistic, yet subtle and honest. A rare combination.

3. speedball's rating of the film The Hustler

4. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Hustler

☆ e mezzo. Adorabili gli attori (seriamente). Montaggio video, composizione d'immagine e dissolvenze occasionalmente spiacevoli.

5. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film The Hustler

6. Ethan's rating of the film The Hustler

Paul Newman gives an incredible performance here and Robert Rossen did to the game of pool with this film what he did to boxing in Body and Soul. A true masterpiece that features a very badass Jackie Gleason.

7. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film The Hustler

I did not know the United States was allowed to make movies like this back in 1961

8. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Hustler

George C. Scott's character is the villain of the month for me!

9. Strauhs's rating of the film The Hustler

10. Margeaux St.Croix's rating of the film The Hustler

The best part of watching this movie was the moment when I realized that Paul Newman is the same person as Newman's Own salad dressing

11. film_lies101's rating of the film The Hustler

Every performance in this film was on point, didn't expect it to be so melancholic. There were a couple of cuts that took me out the film for a little while, but this is pretty grade A stuff

12. Aardsy's rating of the film The Hustler

All the pool hall signs clearly stated "no gambling allowed."

13. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Hustler

Beyond stylish, Newmans character is a snapshot into my twenties, except I never played pool really

14. Ieva Šukytė's rating of the film The Hustler

15. Muraki's rating of the film The Hustler

a unique american classic.

16. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Hustler

This film is ALL about George C. Scott who gives one of his greatest performances in it

17. the.deft.one's rating of the film The Hustler

Essential. An excellent, performance driven piece and a career high for Newman. The script is near perfect, whilst the overall screenplay focuses not solely on the game of pool but on the way it holds it's player's psychology to ransom. Rossen's direction and Dede Allen's editing combine to create a seedy, uncompromising vision of pool hustling where respect is gained but success is void.

18. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film The Hustler

A great beginning and ending, but an example of a second act that completely falls apart.

19. dschank's rating of the film The Hustler

i'm a sucker for these hysterical "actor's-studio" type melodramas, and this is one of the best. the formal stuff works well - pool turns out to be tense and cinematic. it's also an effective metaphor for addiction, ego and money lust. as the story slips off into piper laurie's surprisingly complex abyss, rossen destabilizes the machismo we initially came for. george c. scott is especially menacing and melancholic.

20. msmichel's rating of the film The Hustler

A performance film of the first order with sublime academy award nominated performances by Newman, Laurie, Gleason and especially George C. Scott. Scott should have won the oscar for his slimey, inhuman performance. Oscar winning black and white cinematography and art direction. Rossen and Carroll's adaptation of the source material was riviting. "character...i found it in a hotel room in louisville..."

21. Greg S.'s rating of the film The Hustler

One of those films I've only seen once because that's really all I needed. But I still remember being taken back or blown away is probably the better choice of words, by the gloomy worldview, unconventional photography, and one of those rare performances by Newman that's not just great but perfectly in tuned with the film's energy. Time to buckle up for a rewatch.

22. PolarisDiB's rating of the film The Hustler

A good movie to show students who want to learn editing principles. When the actual action on the table gets more important, the movie cuts in closer and quicker to the players' faces, not the balls or cues -- the game is in the mind. The movie quickens and slows its pace perfectly with Eddie's mindset. --PolarisDiB

23. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film The Hustler

One of the saddest movies I have ever seen. It is also one of the most fascinating character studies ever made.

24. sushiemeusa's rating of the film The Hustler

Giocatori divini, scommesse clandestine e amori disperati nei bassifondi delle sale da biliardo. Con un Paul Newman che ridefinisce i confini del cool. Capolavoro.