1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

Un collectionneur de tableaux fort intrigué par le mystère de la création, fait reconstituer certaines oeuvres d'un peintre académique du 19e siècle, par des personnages vivants disposés selon les scènes représentées par les toiles ..... www.cinefiches.com

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

I love every aspect of this film. Really shows you what Ruiz can do.

3. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

Pierre Klossowski + Sacha Vierny = this movie

4. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

I didn't understand it. Need a second viewing. Thanks french Wikipedia!! http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Hypoth%C3%A8se_du_tableau_vol%C3%A9

5. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

Less chaotic and sprightly than I like my Ruiz. Although the film is large about modes of seeing, it felt highly textual, even theoretical. It reminded me strongly of the opening chapter of Foucault's 'System of Objects'. I think I prefer Greenaway doing this kind of thing, or even Godard (though Weekend > Film Socialisme). The first Ruiz film that didn't connect with me emotionally on a visceral level (so +1 star).

6. kartina obskura's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

narrator says that tonerre made entire scandal upside down with his defense. he also says that one of the paintings by its lightening indicates the world with two suns. this film had to be made by ruiz. from my still poor experience in cinema, i will dare to say there´s no filmmaker more reality-provoking than raul ruiz. there he stands, with not only two suns but many worlds, turning them upside down with such

7. matelot's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

8. Karthik's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

The wild child of Henry James (of the uncanny tales like Figure in the Carpet, Lesson of the Master etc), Pierre Klossowski and perhaps Borges (the mirrors, the labyrinths), this is a profound though irreverent meditation on the motive for metaphor and the ramshackle and desirous structures of explanation we feel compelled to surround art with.

9. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

Fascinating, mesmerizing. A most curious creation, indeed, with some stunning black and white cinematography to match perplexing yet thought-provoking dialogue.

10. Jake Cole's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

A mystery concocted around a mystery that arises when a painter fails to leave an auteurial stamp and so interpreters must create one for him. That, above all, may be the strange scandal of the art, that it should leave no easily discernible message among stylistically and textually different paintings. Hilarious, probing and, of course, beautiful.

11. Scott Barley's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

A surprisingly playful film; when the first shot - a pulchritudinously soft, symmetrical, static image of a Parisian side street - appeared, I expected something along the lines of a traditional, fictitious mystery film, but then as I was introduced to a tug of war narrative and character behaviour between an unknown narrator, and the art collector, I found it homogeneous to the likes of Rivette and early Makavejev.

12. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

I've heard this described as both Borgesian and an intellectual horror movie. This is indeed a strange movie, and I'm not exactly sure how to put it into words. But I am looking forward to seeing more of Raul Ruiz's movies. Fascinating stuff.

13. Fatzers's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

first raoul ruiz film i watched, was absolutely mesmerized by it

14. Quentin Carbonell's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

Extremely interesting, a dreamy sequence full or surprises. The struggle between the two narrative instances is wonderful.

15. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

Kind of a precursor for "Russian Ark."

16. sodr2's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

booooooooooring...jk. this is boring.

17. Sancar Seckiner's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

18. Chasing Butterflies's rating of the film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting

"....The hand holds no chalk/ And each part of the whole falls off/ And cannot know it knew, except/ Here and there, in cold pockets/ Of remembrance, whispers out of time." - Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror, John Ashbery