1. William R Clark's rating of the film The Image Book

45 seconds in, lady behind me practically yells at her friend, "oh, this is gonna be weird." You'll be familiar with the editing rhythms this collaboration has wrought, but they are something so divergent from any essay films I've seen (I'll take recommendations!) it's imprecise to accuse this guy of redundancy. Some foggy politics about post-colonial images that confused me. And he still loves his Johnny Guitar.

2. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Image Book

Godard has made another fascinating film that serves as both a commentary on the power of images and as an amendment to his Histoire(s) du Cinema!

3. Jason's rating of the film The Image Book

When Godard, his rasping voice speaking for the exhaustion of each of us, says, not hopefully, that of course anything can happen nowadays: I feel that. But. But hope. Hope: despite all. Hope: not because we have cause for optimism, but because it is an immutable precondition. What else? Masterpiece of montage, of digitality, implicitly about the besieged individual in relation to the machinations of political power.

4. grotesc's rating of the film The Image Book

5. askapsaskis's rating of the film The Image Book

The images are there, always there. By broadening the possibilities of communication, we might better read what has always been before us.

6. inquisita's rating of the film The Image Book

Jihlava '18 with Jiri, hence 4. Otherwise forgot our conversation after. In hindsight, you can't gainsay M. Heiferman that albeit taking and sharing images has become second nature to many, this unprecedented visual suffusion does not necessarily entail more image literacy. Goes for photo & cinema alike. I remember Godard's imagery as a blissed out interchangeable plethora consciously verging on inalienable red tape.

7. Adam Laurence Pitt's rating of the film The Image Book

8. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Image Book

The familiar Godardian themes: the moving image as a reflection of reality, as a distraction from it, and as a necessary vehicle for capturing it. And, as Godard makes clear, this image is highly mutable. No new ground is broken in this essay on how political violence continues when you'd think we have enough footage to learn our lesson. But moments abound where editing wizardry and epigrammatic provocation collide.

9. Levi Miah's rating of the film The Image Book

The presentation of this film regarding the subtitles is so fucking weird, but whatever man, who else is making films like this at 87 years old after 126 credits? On the weird subtitles, I'm sure the entire purpose of this film is to jar you (unless you speak French, then I guess this film is slightly different). Is there enough philosophical, existential truth in a century of images for the words to not matter?

10. Federico D'Accinni's rating of the film The Image Book

There might have not been a film in 2018 where past and present tense happen to speak so openly and powerfully to each other - shaping, re-modelling and interrogating our most basic, yet fragile intimacy with the world. Godard's eye escavates into our collective memory as spectators while trying to make sense of today's humanity. A stream of images and thoughts that feels as hallucinatory as often so vividly lucid.

11. RRfR's rating of the film The Image Book

Away from all, only Godard has the Answer to the Question

12. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Image Book

Ahhhhh, I think I finally get it. Godard has spent most of his career trolling cinephiles and this is a big middle finger to those who have been loyal enough to follow him all the way through his career. Horribly pointless, almost inept in the way the footage is put together, and just another bore from a false idol.

13. ela orleans's rating of the film The Image Book

Experience of watching the movie was ruined by random placement of subtitles. The lousiest translation job ever. Once my French is perfect, I will have to rewatch it since what I understood is already a masterpiece

14. innersmiff's rating of the film The Image Book

To summarise: a montage of news clips and scenes from films you'd rather be watching, blown out and distorted, with unrelated voice over, intermittently subtitled in English. A middle finger to meaning itself. P.S. capitalism is awesome and Godard sucks.

15. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film The Image Book

Even though The Image Book is about the present, it feels like a present passed. It's there in the graveyard of Godard's voice, his 87-year timbre and my bad French making it into one more instrument in his audiovisual orchestra, which looks and sounds like it's playing a requiem for all of us. "Believe me, we are never sad enough for the world to be better. Earth abandoned...and hardly any ears listening anymore".

16. Frank ViSo's rating of the film The Image Book

17. Bekriah M's rating of the film The Image Book

Fantastic juxtaposition of fragments and visual data, both contemporary, archival and elements from 20th-21st century film masterpieces. Godard, the forever young forever vanguard, can still raise the same questions in a different format each time. My eyes are worn to a frazzle after this, but isn't that what the screen-mania era is doing to our eyes?

18. MisterColo93's rating of the film The Image Book

19. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film The Image Book

Unratatable. An achievement I rate 3 stars.

20. Katherine Lo's rating of the film The Image Book

I appreciate elements of the film - the contrast between the short snippets of imagery is interesting and engaging. Almost 2018 internet-esque where it feeds to our short attention span. But after 90 minutes of constant flashing, uninventive distortion, and that purposely oversaturated hue, it all becomes quite tedious. As to the essay, in true Godard way, it feels like he's saying everything but also nothing at all.

21. Alistair's rating of the film The Image Book

Probably the biggest waste of 85 minutes of my life I'll ever spend. So I guess that in itself is at least some kind of achievement.

22. bcdcdude's rating of the film The Image Book

I've watched about a dozen Godard films now and apart from Breathless, Week-end and maybe one or two others, I find his films impenetrable. I try so hard, but all I take away from films like this is that I don't understand it which makes me feel unworthy and inferior. I want to understand his work so much :(

23. hulya C.'s rating of the film The Image Book

My wish from 2019; Godard never dies, always make a movie. I love you with the art of cinema, I love you J.L.Godard,

24. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film The Image Book

A beautiful last scream on behalf of language, revolution and the power of philosophy and the need to preserve it. Is history doomed to repeat itself through eternity? I hope not, and so does Jean Luc. This years' best.