1. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

A delightful, wit-strewn romp all over British class propriety. A cast which impeccably achieves just that.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

Not one person lost a monocle due to surprise.

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

The comedy is dry as a bone, and I loved the concept. Have never read Wilde's original, but I have to be believe this was a very close adaptation, given its overall feel. The two Michaels give great performances, great Technicolor, what more can you ask for? Classic stage play done faithfully and thus preserved for us to view over and over today.

4. Vincente Oristivar's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

Joan Greenwood is fantastic ... i could, would die for that voice .. never heard anything like it since ... sexy, foxy, cheeky, funny all at once ..xx

5. Wariaz's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

6. victoria konigsberg's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

I saw the new american version of the Importance of Being Earnest starring reese witherspoon, rupert everet, and Colin Firth.. very funny adaption of Oscar wilde play..the singing is hilarious. I wonder if its the same with this Uk version??

7. Ben's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

8. Sneerwell's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

Just can't imagine the play's adaptation to be different. Absolutely perfect and thoroughly enjoyable.

9. Dan Bayer's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

An excellent film version of a perfect play. Not perfect, but as stage-to-screen adaptations go, it's one of the better ones.

10. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

I suppose that you really have to be in the mood for such movies. True that actors are really good, true that Oscar Wilde's dialogues are exquisite and true that Edith Evans' (by the way, check out Bryan Forbes' THE WHISPERERS with this great lady) performance is terrific. Nonetheless, you really have to be in the mood to see and appreciate this kind of film. And I was not. I should have seen a giallo instead.

11. HobartLazaro's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

ive read the play several times and this movie ed was what i imagined it to be. oh how i hate lady bracknell, stupid old cow.

12. Roscoe's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

Beautifully done, impeccable from start to finish. There's nothing in the world like Edith Evans' Lady Bracknell.

13. chanandre's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

[Cinémathèque PT #187: 35 mm]

14. Allison Eckfelt's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

this is such a great movie. i loved every minute.

15. IA's rating of the film The Importance of Being Earnest

Much better than the thick, crass American version of course. The acting is crisp and deadpan; Asquith's direction is theatrical but not stagey.