1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Informer

Ford under the influence of Murnau, but also downright Langian in its underworld and cruel mousetrap of inevitability. This is surely one of Ford's saddest films, a look at the delusions of alcoholism and what money means to a community that has none. It sheds light on his rosier work—his cinema is best when he acknowledges the dark side of his just-plain-folk. Either it's one of his best, or I'm a cynical bastard.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Informer

>>> Oeuvre capitale du grand John Ford qui reçut quatre Oscars (meilleure mise en scène, meilleur scénario, meilleure musique et meilleur acteur (Victor Mac Laglen)... www.cinefiches.com

3. El Biffo's rating of the film The Informer

4. Aardsy's rating of the film The Informer

If you've seen one film about working-class Irish...

5. belemir's rating of the film The Informer

6. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Informer

Ford does it again. I love his stories set in Ireland. This has a tension throughout the film that everyone except the drunken main character can feel. An early 30s gem from one of the masters. 4.5 stars

7. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Informer

It's interesting to see the splitting of roles between women (total forgiveness, "let there be no more death") and men (the condescending "sure, it's hard, but we need to do this") that suddenly gets confused: the men of the IRA aren't so resolute when they have to execute someone, which is what got Gypo in trouble in the first place. Only the ultimate forgiveness of the ultimate woman can restore the moral order.

8. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Informer

The book is very different but I understand the changes that Ford made. In the book, Gypo's girl was no friend to him. In the movie she is much more sympathetic. I guess Ford needed someone to plead for his anti-hero.

9. filmcapsule's rating of the film The Informer

An incredibly atmospheric moral tragedy. The ever-present fog and Ford’s chiaroscuro lighting obfuscate as much as liquor and politics. I was also impressed by how well both an early action sequence and Victor McLaglen’s intense performance have aged.

10. João Eça's rating of the film The Informer

It would be interesting to compare this movie to Lang's "M" since they share some qualities (the judgement scene near the end reminds one of "M" automatically), but diverge completely as a whole: Lang believes in the strength of Evil and condemns every character of his film; Ford, on the other hand, believes in the strenght of Good and redeems his protagonist. I find Evil (and therefore Lang) much more compelling.

11. Amin Lumière's rating of the film The Informer

just forget the story and watch the perfect and breathtaking work of mr.ford's shots.

12. Cineastic's rating of the film The Informer

The influence of F. W. Murnau on Ford is quite ostensible here, especially in the ending scene and the death of Frankie. I dare say this is one of John Ford's most Expressionist films, and incidentally, one of his best films. The cinematography is mesmerising to boot. It's easy to see how this part of Ford's repertoire in particular influenced so many other filmmakers.

13. Mark Desrosiers's rating of the film The Informer

Soused Judas stumbles through a moral fog.

14. Ehsan Khoshbakht's rating of the film The Informer

Someone have to show the first version of The Informer: http://notesoncinematograph.blogspot.com/2011/08/screening-suggestion.html

15. chanandre's rating of the film The Informer

[Cinémathèque PT #191: 35 mm]

16. Byron Brubaker's rating of the film The Informer

The story grips you. The internal struggle of the main character is at once suffocated by guilt and uplifting.