1. thomasjeff16's rating of the film The Invitation

A great blend of grief and terror.

2. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Invitation

Similar to Get Out, in the sense that the escalating foreboding of the first two acts is brilliantly developed, but also undermined by a third act descent into messy violence. Like J. Peele, Kusama does slow burning anxiety like a master, but lacks the more controlled 'Hitchcockian' sensibility needed to turn the action into set-pieces. Nonetheless, an effective thriller about liberal complacency & overcoming grief.

3. James Mackin's rating of the film The Invitation

Great cast of character actors, fantastic tension all throughout. I've never been to Southern California, but I feel like this film could only have happened there. Also, loving the HCF synergy.

4. bryanvmh's rating of the film The Invitation

Light up the red lamps, tonight's party's a killer

5. Hollywood Overdose's rating of the film The Invitation

There was a struggle within myself that could only be acomplished with a very high level of expertise in sound, image and timing. The pace is perfect, the circunstance felt real, possible and very credible in the twisted and perverse LA atmosphere.

6. kakaok's rating of the film The Invitation

*****SPOILER ALERT***** not bad contemporary slasher genre refresher

7. De La Ghetto's rating of the film The Invitation

There was some good directing stuff going on here. I enjoyed the movie.

8. Andreea Roşca's rating of the film The Invitation

9. Cartaphilus's rating of the film The Invitation

It is not horrible, I was entertained but what was the point of the coyote scene? that really did not add a thing to the film!

10. Simone Giordano's rating of the film The Invitation

Il film trasmette, per tutta la durata, un'aura strana e insolita. Qualcosa non va ma non capisci né cosa né perché. Alla fine tutto acquista un senso.

11. Adam GR's rating of the film The Invitation

Insufferable adulting. The Invitation's dogma isn't intelligent enough to be believable: death connects you to the source. This is all grown adults in grief need to hear to kill and be killed. It makes no sense. Dead child trope. Stock characters. Emayatzy Corinealdi manages to stand out with a semblance of reality. The last shot is awesome.

12. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film The Invitation

Not a complete disappointment but the acting and the dialogue felt too stiff. For some foolish reason, I expected it to have some Cassavetean naturalism but honestly, how many filmmakers can pull that off without being too idiosyncratic and sacrificing international appeal?

13. tenonder's rating of the film The Invitation

14. ughchenausea's rating of the film The Invitation

basita ma per una buona ora bellissimo

15. caprica_six's rating of the film The Invitation

That final shot. Fuck. (closer to 3&1/2)

16. patríciapinho's rating of the film The Invitation

laura marling singing over the end credits was the star of the show

17. Rafael Zen's rating of the film The Invitation

This is what we call in Portuguese: "filme bosta".

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Invitation

Great group of actors, ably led by Marshall-Green, who was tremendous in 'Quarry'. He's a man battling grief and suspicion. People talk badly about paranoia, but there is a thing called 'healthy paranoia'. It could also be called curiosity. People make excuses for weird behaviour instead of trying to figure it out. Group dynamics usually means that people are too polite to ask questions. Don't lock the fucking door!

19. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film The Invitation

Starts off quite well - has a weirdly unsettling atmosphere and provides some psychological thrills when the viewer is questioning the reality of some scenes. However, it loses its steam in the second part and the conclusion with the cult stuff is just disappointing.

20. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film The Invitation

Slow climb to the top but worth it

21. Polyglot's rating of the film The Invitation

White People Doing Freaky Things™

22. Andhika Eka Buana's rating of the film The Invitation

So when I say "a that taut and tense thriller about men being trapped in a house that have full of sinister things lurking behind, opens with the protagonists running over a wild animal with their car, and directed not by white male", I am not talking about GET OUT.

23. The Macho King's rating of the film The Invitation

This started off interesting and even kind of promising but ends up being by the numbers...the main failing of this film is how the second half meanders in the last 35-40mins.Too predictable overall and the "twist" isn't original nor even executed properly since you can see it coming 20mins into the film. One other annoyance is how much Will actually broods & weeps to himself alone in a house that isn't his anymore.

24. Eugenia Barr's rating of the film The Invitation

It already starts disturbing but somehow manages to get even more twisted everytime. I liked it a lot. The end with the lights gave me the chills.

← Previous 1 3 4 5