1. Tibulle85's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

(Vu sur Arte) Arte fait décidément un très beau travail sur le muet! Les affinités dadaïstes du réalisateur (récemment soulignées par Mubi) se retrouvent certainement dans l'espièglerie contagieuse dont il fait preuve pour transcrire le célèbre vaudeville de Labiche. Plongée dans la France rentière des débuts du XXe, le film a ses moments de grâce: la cérémonie du mariage à la mairie, l'excipit tout en empathie...

2. Hockley Cinema's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

Whimsical and witty. The légendaire Clair in complete control, and at his very best.

3. msmichel's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

Overlong but entertaining silent comedy from Rene Clair. The basic premise is a saucy mix of social conventions, possible embarassments and farce. Quite a few humorous sight gags and reoccurring motifs but not enough to sustain a near two hour running time.

4. Cynthia Kane's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

Brilliant, immersive and searing... a village seeks answers to the unanswerable... A must see -

5. Michael Goetz's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

It is extraordinarily hard to make comedy that stays funny. Clair has done it in other films, but not here. The characters and situations are too archaic. Clair takes forever setting up each scene and then fails to move beyond the premise; it's all exposition with no finish. You're much better off with his underrated American work, I Married a Witch or even The Ghost Goes West.

6. Ethan's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

7. El Biffo's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

I am a big fan of silent cinema, but not this type. I have seen most of Rene Clair's silent films, and this is typical of his early work; crude, choppy, over-acted, and tedious. I did enjoy a Hollywood talkie he made, I Married A Witch, but that is also lowbrow fare. Then again, I am not a big fan of comedy in general, so you might want to take that into consideration...I like a few comedies, but not this one.

8. lawl's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

Anyone know why the length is listed as 60 mins here? The version I watched was 1hr45. (Liked it very much)

9. Duffau's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

This film belongs to the Cinémathèque française. A DVD edition is in project. VoD release will follow.

10. Brad Scott's rating of the film The Italian Straw Hat

Quite wonderful, if a little slow, but a delightfully comic farce nonetheless