1. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Keep

Irrevocably bad, adding another 90-minutes couldn't have fixed this, but there is a certain novelty to seeing such a talented cast/director make something so stupid.

2. George Harvey Bone's rating of the film The Keep

Loved the book -the film pretty much ruined it.

3. DSPRKY's rating of the film The Keep

4. Tom Cottey's rating of the film The Keep

2.5 - Michael Mann made this AFTER Thief? Great music, locations, design & expressionist lighting do not always make for a great movie.

5. el.'s rating of the film The Keep

But the visuals and music are just fantastic

6. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film The Keep

An odd but masterful supernatural Sci-fi hidden pearl from the 80s. I can't believe I had never heard of it. An amazing cast for a genre film from the 80s (Ian McKellen is so young here!). Perfect visual and atmospheric mood, with impressive set design, good special effects and an eerie and great soundtrack. Michael Mann was meant to become one of the most interesting American directors. :)

7. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Keep

Michael Mann hasn't made a decent film in about two decades so thank you to MUBI for introducing me to this early work. Unlike any other Mann film I have seen - horror fantasy with great special effects and an atmosphere of dread throughout. The Tangerine Dream soundtrack is excellent!

8. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film The Keep

Swampy plot but some excellent scenes worth revising.

9. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Keep

Set during WW2, this film is so dreamy, reminds me of a fairy tale, mystic and eerie at times, complemented by perfectly matched Tangerine Dream music; honestly I don't think you could find a more suitable soundtrack! I love the visual side too, camerawork is interesting, some scenes are absolutely beautiful. I wish the video quality was better, also, the final battle along with the ending are rather disappointing.

10. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film The Keep

More of a political spiritual metaphor than a horror film. The script includes one of the most pithy and concise denunciations of Nazism that I remember of any film. Does that explain why it is not on DVD ? Mann expands the supernatural elements of Raiders of the Lost Ark to craft a portrait of evil. Look out for the Wolf Kahler from Raiders. Echoes of The Golem and of Highlander and of McKellan's Gandalf.

11. tube_screamer's rating of the film The Keep

I guess how much you like this film might depend on when you watch it. It didn't really work for me while eating my dinner. Great score by Tangerine Dream though.

12. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Keep

Stylish, mostly mysterious(for the first half, at least)and great set. Shows flashes of the future Mann, but let down by a leaden script and leaden acting

13. Gareth Jones's rating of the film The Keep

This film hasn't aged particularly well but to be honest I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it any more back in 1983. Interesting camerawork and special effects to say the least but there are some good acting performances amongst the more dodgy ones. It's The Keep but it's not a keeper.

14. Laura Jestl's rating of the film The Keep

This one is so bad that only its atmosphere can rescue it. The sound was terrible, but the 80's crazy feeling was present. Oh, and did I mention that us Romanians don't look like that? Nor we talk English as it were our native tongue? Anyway, acceptable for a genre film.

15. jamesathorne's rating of the film The Keep

Young McKellen, Nazi bad guys and excellent 80s SFX. I mean, it has its flaws, but don't we all? I think I may try writing a supernatural Nazi siege film.

16. Matthew H's rating of the film The Keep

Is it a good film? No. It is an entertaining film, in a "so bad it's good/camp" way? Yes

17. Mark Commode's rating of the film The Keep

18. David Maiden's rating of the film The Keep

Enjoyable film, well thought out cinematography and a stunning soundtrack

19. Dermot Loughnane's rating of the film The Keep

Absolutely awful. Plot holes that a golem could walk through

20. HolyCornerHouse's rating of the film The Keep

21. Superfrog's rating of the film The Keep

Nah. After the excellent Scanners, this feels poorly shot and laboured and needlessly mystic. And it would feel the same without having watched scanners just before.

22. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film The Keep

To borrow a Frankie Boyle quote " Welcome to Operation Mindfuck!"

23. Sebastian Lock's rating of the film The Keep

A moody supernatural WW2 film that quickly becomes cheesy and muddled. A late night curiosity at best.

24. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Keep

Some visually nice sequences and trashy ideas... but I think the film is sometimes too clumsy (relating to its timing) to become a cult movie. The best thing is the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.