1. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Killer is Loose

After his westerns, do we have to rediscover Budd Boetticher's films noirs now ? Shot on location, 'The Killer is Loose' is a violent thriller focused on women. They cook, they work, they think and they don't die like men do here so no wonder if Wendell Corey wishes to masquerade as a woman for his final fight. Highly recommended.

2. Bilouaustria's rating of the film The Killer is Loose

Clever noir from Boetticher with charismatic Joseph Cotten on the peak on his career. This film introduces a new kind of fear : big-glasses-ordinary-guy can come and kill you in your kitchen. Look at this image : are we looking at him through the TV screen or is he the one looking at us right now ? (the war is also an interesting background topic here)

3. n/a's rating of the film The Killer is Loose

By the end of its brief running time, Boetticher inverts both damsel in distress and femme fatale tropes, in a film less about the killer than it is about the wives. Detective Wagner cannot help but look helpless, grasping with both hands the microphone on his police radio, as his wife heroically takes action, with the killer in pursuit, disguised as a woman.

4. mjgildea's rating of the film The Killer is Loose

Not great, not terrible. A decent premise even if its not exactly anyone's shining hour. I think I see where Nighthawks got the cross-dressing killer disguise though.

5. Robert Karol's rating of the film The Killer is Loose

Boetticher & Lucien Ballard's staging and cinematography, aided by a strong performance from Wendell Corey as an atypical psychopath, redeem a hackneyed, cliched script.