1. Renton47's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

The period setting here has a stifling impact, seemingly too constrained by the accuracy of the time to let any air in. My problems weren't aesthetic, but why indulge the ostentatious exteriors then have so much of the film as chamber settings? I at least wanted to admire the perspective, the revolving politics, but so much was a chore, unevenly caught between experimenting and ossification.

2. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

3. fred boswell's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

Great early digital period piece very experimental;-)

4. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

I'm not sure I want to assume too much about the film's politics based on its choice of subject/source material.

5. Jason's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

The first digital movie that was one of the greatest movies of all time. A political film of remarkable import for me personally.

6. redux's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

The ugly side of the French Revolution, as experienced by a trapped-in outsider. Rohmer's most uncharacteristic, and therefore best film.

7. Superfrog's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

Really enjoyed the image and the acting. Definitel not your usual Rohmer. Wish MUBI did not cut me 10 minutes from the end... now, I'll never know. (spoilers not welcome)

8. janh24's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

Un film passionnant! Cinématographie audacieux et des performances incroyables.

9. Steve Thompson's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

This idiosyncratic study of friendship, loyalty and betrayal between two aristocrats (and former lovers) during the French Revolution manifests a political conservatism only latent in this Director's films about contemporary French society. Though lacking the freshness and charm of his best work it is still well-acted and quietly compelling with much subtlety and a scrupulous attention to historic detail.

10. Ale/M's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

Soffermarsi alla considerazione che sia un'opera "controrivoluzionaria" sarebbe un errore di superficialità. Rohmer ci mostra invece quanto la storia possa essere crudele, talvolta cieca. Un lezione necessaria per chi non ha ancora ben capito che "la rivoluzione non è un pranzo di gala".

11. OSMOND's rating of the film The Lady and the Duke

Next to it, any Tea Party pamphlet seems progressive. This film is a counterrevolutionary testimony but it is also an uninhibited experimentation with digital media.