1. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

3-4. Not unusual as far as Welles existentialism goes, though there is an odd tinge of positivity to the ending, in spite of the protagonist's insistence that forgetting or death may be the only way to escape Elsa's indelible mark. Everyone mentions the mirror maze sequence, but I actually thought the development of water as the 'world' stage was more prominent throughout.

2. pluviosity's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

It's the useless poignant attempt to fight how the world is working. It's a bit weird angle, considering Hollywood was filled with blue-eyed optimistic view of 'The End'.

3. Laura Isachenko's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Fantastic ending, beautiful cinematography; one more time Orson Wells proves himself to be one of the greatest and my top favorite directors

4. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Welles' fascination for disrupted conversations and he overused it

5. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Orson Welles, ever the true master, begins his film as a typical Hollywood noir, only to slowly turn it into a purely experimental and surreal picture unlike any other!

6. francisca bacon's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Pff yeah, angles et al. aside, it's the same thematic crap w/ bitches living under the delusion that wickedness is sophistication. As w/ Big Sleep, all I could feel is pity.

7. THE APOLL0's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

I don't know how the original cut was before the studio cut it half but this reduced iteration mutilated as it might be is masterful despite whatever fuckeries went on.

8. Ghostman's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

A Wells noir film that is, despite being truncated & tampered with like many Wells' films, amongst his finest work. About an Irish sailor who falls under the influence of a wealthy mysterious woman & her devious crippled attorney husband, Wells' film deals with conspiracy & paranoia in a grotesquely cinematic way that is both immensely bold & skittish; like a fever dream turning into a nightmare before your eyes.

9. _shalashaska_'s rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Il notevole comparto estetico è direttamente proporzionale all'idiozia delle vicende

10. vizija's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

11. Il calvario di un’anima perduta's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

12. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Orson Welles deliver another first class production. Rita Hayworth surprises with bleached cut hair as the femme fatale of the film in a film noir that deliver everything this genre should do.

13. De La Ghetto's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

One of the first to school me on good movie making. When I first watched it I thought "ah, this is what a good movie is."

14. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

15. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

16. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Technically my favorite film noir but I don’t even consider it that, it transcends the genre into a surreal Lynchian nightmare, starring possibly the most beautiful woman in film history aka Rita Hayworth. Welles at his most experimental and downright fun, at some point there’s a funhouse scene including a classic mirror room sequence and a giant slider which is the greatest thing Welles ever filmed.

17. Luca Di Gianni's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

18. 'king Harold's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

I was a bit confused by the plot, ended up double screening which made it worse. Someone do a list of psychedelic sequences in film please, thank you .

19. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Welles goes full Hitchcock in this thrilling example of American Noir. Hitchcock's 'Innocent Man on the Run' routine is blessed with Welles eye for poetic dialogue, strong characterisation & visual brilliance. Welles' belief in pure cinema shines through during the climatic chase through a Chinese theatre & dizzying fun house.

20. Luke Corradine's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Wells continues to strike me as phoney especially in this film. He seems propelled forward by a melodramatic over-confidence that pushes him beyond boundaries he is far from mastering or realising. Citizen Kane was unexpectedly Wagnerian and unique but - with the exception of Othello and a couple other pieces - his output lacks identity while his efforts to explore subjects in depth, artificial and inconclusive.

21. Superfrog's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Social commentary muddled by second rate crime plot.

22. Mike Jempson's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

Welles' appalling Irish accent is enough on its own to put you off, but there's plenty of hammy acting by the rest of the cast too. Typically self-indulgent Welles; as with so many of his films - I can't see what the fuss is about.

23. McOpinionated's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

*THAT* was better than expected. The moments and ideas that seem dated, the confusing bits of plot and unbelievable moments (and accent) are outgunned by the sheer joyfulness, the twists and genre switches, the chickens that come home to roost, the red herrings, and of course, one particular set piece of mindbending theatrical bravado. I am lucky: the last time I saw it I was about 10 years old, so recalled nothing.

24. bulletproof isobel's rating of the film The Lady from Shanghai

I just can't get over that 'irish' accent.

← Previous 1 3 4 5