1. Fritz's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Maggie Smith = genius. A gold standard.

2. Milly Hampton's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

This had so much potential! A great story and the perfect casting of Maggie Smith. But the narration, the double Bennett and the ending ahhhhhhh painfully cheesy to watch.

3. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Amiable enough but yet another reheating of this (now well known) story following book, theatre and radio play. Good enough for tea in front of the television but little else. If you're new to this, I'd read read Bennett's Diaries instead as the added metaphysics here feel like the calculated add-on they are.

4. Ananta Vania Iswardhani's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

5. mrpasquali's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

The story of this movie is quite forgettable. But Maggie Smith's acting is not. For those of us who loved her starring in Downton Abbey as a countess, seeing her in this role is such a great and interesting contrast. This is a British dramatic-comedy, just that.

6. Finbar Somers's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Had the potential to be a much more interesting film if it had fully embraced and explored its meta-ness and maybe delved a little into her psychology. Instead we get Stephen Frears-lite

7. João Rocha's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

The script is quite amazing, and the perfomances too, but is really long for a story that is quite obvious...

8. janice.hughes's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Maggie Smith plays a destitute bag lady in this whimsical film written by Alan Bennett. She moves her van into Bennett's drive and stays many a year. The film has some beautiful twists and turns showing both a true community spirit and loneliness in a London suburb.

9. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Solid work all around, from Hytner's directing to Smith's lovable yet mad portrayal of Ms. Shepherd to Alan Bennett's fascinating screenplay of this true story.

10. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Only the English can take a story about two fairly singular eccentrics and turn it into the cinematic equivalent of drinking milky tea while soaking in a lukewarm bath. Tepid, in a not-unpleasant way; a nice change from sensationalism or contrived, paternalistic attempts at "humanizing" outsider characters. Skilfully acted and amusing. Unobtrusive and mild.

11. msmichel's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

The film's trailer that made it look like 'Marigold' meets 'Archie Bunker' with a syrupy heart of gold turned me off seeing this initially. Catching up with it there was far more than the marketing decided to show. Alan Bennett wrote the film, from his own memoir, and gives it a sense of both play and candor especially in the device of giving his narrator dual identities. Alex Jennings is quite good as Bennett(s).

12. Daniel Iván's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Nicely crafted but, perhaps, a little bit too English for the general public. Just a feeling of a lack of any sort of excitement for the story or the characters. Good to watch, though; specially if you like to be depressed with a feeling of community.

13. João Estevens's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

14. Nathan's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Cinema viewing - Review pending

15. Strauhs's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

16. Ana Sousa's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

I have this thing for the English humor. There's such an intelligent, elegant and sarcastic side to it. And the fact that only a few people understand that sarcasm makes it even more attractive. Maggie Smith has the powerful and unique ability to build a performance that makes your heart warm and tender and then breaks it. I think she might be the real queen of England, "possibly".

17. Mariana Filipa's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

HAVEN'T LAUGHED LIKE THIS IN AGES

18. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Good drama with fine performances all around. The emotional weight is not properly gauged in my opinion and there is no real catharsis for any of the characters. Things just move on and things end, very much like life I guess, without much hoopla. So when the meta sensibilities of the writing goers over board in the end in order to properly send the characters off, it´s just too much and too late.

19. bitterMoo's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

20. Hajer's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

A gentle and very human film, all the better for being true as well. A brilliant English dramedy.

21. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Maggie Smith’s wholehearted performance is the film’s most valuable feature.

22. SafeStanding's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

A truly British 'dramedy' with an outstanding performance from Dame Maggie. With the film being based on true events it was particularly apt to film in the actual location to give that extra authenticity.

23. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

This film may be sentimental and a bit too quirky at times; but, I found that the more the film went on, the more I enjoyed it. The humor is delightful, the characters are well-defined, and I like the self-examination approach to Alan Bennett's screenplay. But, above all else, Maggie Smith's performance is nothing short of wonderful, and I'm very disappointed she was not nominated for an Oscar this year.

24. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Lady in the Van

Pleasant and funny, fine acting, excellent mise-en-scène, but less good mise-en-abyme and maybe due to that too long for what there was (just a few essays after all).