1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Last Detail

2. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film The Last Detail

I am the fucking shore patrol. Second most pessimistic 70s film??

3. Marko's rating of the film The Last Detail

Three ordinary and disillusioned guys with no dreams whatsoever, spend few days together on the road. By coincidence they are marines, and one of them is on its way to 8 years prison sentence. Brilliant film study on alienation between people raising some important political questions. "A Deer Hunter" but maybe better.

4. Z's rating of the film The Last Detail

My favorite Hal Ashby directed film and my favorite Nicholson performance of all time. Jack and Otis Young shine as Navy lifers who try to give Randy Quaid's unfortunate sailor (Meadows) a bit of life experience before he does an 8 year sentence for stealing 40 dollars. They drink, they gamble, they chase women and they rage at an unfair system that has imprisoned them all to one degree or another. Honest and angry.

5. Max Swanson's rating of the film The Last Detail

By far, the best work I've seen from Ashby. Vintage Nicholson is maybe the fascinating actor to watch in the 20th century.

6. Marjan Mar's rating of the film The Last Detail

A Last Detail filled with amazing subtle details... Simply brilliant!

7. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Last Detail

Another of those 70s films of which I was previously unaware and which provides further evidence of the heights Nicholson could achieve in his early prime. A road movie and a character piece that provides a snapshot of an America ill at ease with itself. Young and Quaid are also excellent and there's a lovely early cameo from the brilliant Carol Kane.

8. Addy K.'s rating of the film The Last Detail

The core agenda of any Hal Ashby film is rebellion and the struggle for freedom. Randy Quaid's Meadows is a meek sailor: he is compliant and fearful of living. On the other end of the spectrum are Jack Nicholson and Otis Young, both seemingly 'strong' men: loud and suspicious of The Man, yet ironically also programed to follow orders. Like Meadows, they too are prisoners. And try as they might, none can break free.

9. Ramzi's rating of the film The Last Detail

Definitely takes too long to get going, but once it's finished you're left with a very affecting, funny but ultimately bleak film. Acting is great. Direction and cinematography are cold and brutal.

10. Robert McMillan's rating of the film The Last Detail

A life without opportunity is a prison, and 'The Man' is its warden. Led by a superb Jack Nicholson, 'The Last Detail' proves a furlough for the ages. Drama with sense and sense of humour enough to make us laugh while we hopelessly await the inevitable conclusion.

11. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film The Last Detail

Classic 70s American cinema; urban decay & complex men. Jack Nicholson as Buddusky is at his magnetic, slightly unhinged best. His charisma & infectious impulsiveness carries the tale of three sailors drifting across the country looking for a good time. At sea level its an enjoyable road movie, but below the surface there's valuable insight into what it is to be a man; camaraderie, masculinity & expectation.

12. Noëlle's rating of the film The Last Detail

13. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film The Last Detail

It becomes boring at times. Good acting though.

14. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Last Detail

It's a glance into the early 70's America, down to earth, humorous and warm. While the story itself is perhaps a bit lacklustre, it's so well performed and that takes it to another level.

15. sizelando's rating of the film The Last Detail

Incredibly well performed classic from a decade full of them.

16. gld48's rating of the film The Last Detail

Hal Ashby and Jack Nicholson can do no wrong. Ashby measures the comedy and the heart really well in all of his films and that's what makes them so great.

17. DanB3000's rating of the film The Last Detail

Really enjoyed this, with an early Jack Nicholson wearing the most insolent expression ever put on celluloid. A nice slow burning film.

18. Matt's rating of the film The Last Detail

Beautiful pace and a real joy to spend time with these characters

19. iamgarethjones's rating of the film The Last Detail

I liked the fact that this has quite a unique plot and that Jack Nicholson is just awesome in this movie. Despite the movie being about a few sailors on an adventure, I found it reminded me of a coming of age drama... and that's not a bad thing.

20. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Last Detail

I'm yet to see a Jack Nicholson performance from the 70's that wasn't excellent. I can add this film to that list. Great character acting, though it is probably a little too long.

21. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film The Last Detail

OK. The actors made it better than meh but the script could have been better. I liked the focus on just three characters and their journey.

22. Superfrog's rating of the film The Last Detail

Good acting in parts but what on earth is this other than overstretched storytelling that a slightly boring uncle with a desire to share anecdotes would take people through over a family reunion. Adding one star to my original review for the reflection on violence and social/class justice

23. Tja's rating of the film The Last Detail

Jack Nicholson's raw energy and trademark threat of violence keeps us all on our toes. For all their bluster and larks on the town, the Detail don't really give a s*** for their hapless charge, whom they finally hand over to serve an unjust and likely bullying incarceration. All too real an indictment of the system.

24. Reyna's rating of the film The Last Detail

Jack Nicholson and the last 10 minutes of the movie were really good!