1. Gylfi's rating of the film The Last Laugh

As much as I loved the first 72 minutes of the film, I think I have never hated any ending as much as this one. The camera movement is incredible, using no intertitles is very impressive and I liked Jannings over-the-top acting. Next time that I will watch this great film I will stop after 72 minutes, that should be the real ending !

2. David M.K.'s rating of the film The Last Laugh

I don't get it. All of this because he was demoted from a hotel doorman to a men's room attendant?

3. Stefano Campagna's rating of the film The Last Laugh

4. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Witnessing Murnau's amazing film technique (for instance: When Jannings gets his demotion letter: the shaky camera to convey his near fainting, the POV camera work) I have to be impressed with him and also be depressed that most narrative filmmaking hasn't progressed that much since then. I don't think Jannings was too over the top given his era's background & the material. The copout ending was only saved by him.

5. Manny Lage's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Foundation of Sirkian endings perhaps?

6. Hugo Resendiz Saldivar's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Las historia es muy sencilla, incluso candorosa, la verdad narrativamente no es de lo mejor, pero cinematográficamente es excepcional. Las imágenes oníricas, los recursos para el desenfoque, la alteración de la imagen son muy originales, los decorados también, expresionista al mas puro estilo, sobre todo la puerta del hotel cuando se imagina como el mejor portero, aunado al ambiente Art déco del hotel.

7. AKFilmFan's rating of the film The Last Laugh

A masterpiece of silent films that I still admire despite the epilogue. Murnau's camera and Janning's performance make this touching film prove that even images alone can tell a great story.

8. Marcelo Pereira's rating of the film The Last Laugh

9. Langston Young's rating of the film The Last Laugh

The improbable ending does nothing to diminish the film's earlier drama or make any less important Murnau's visual proficiency. Almost 90 years later and it's still astonishing what he does here. Quite stylish.

10. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Even before seeing this one, I'd heard that the ending sunk the film. But I'll stick up for it. Today, the sudden, self-reflexive reversal of fortune could seem too cutely postmodern, but cutely postmodern was ahead of the curve in 1924, and it all works thematically. After all, that's what the movies are best at: expressing our despair and curing our ills. One of the most beautiful accomplishments of the silent era.

11. MegaMeg's rating of the film The Last Laugh

This is a brilliant film but unfortunately the ending was forcibly changed making the ending a joke. (Pun intended)

12. Gonzalo Caride's rating of the film The Last Laugh

The camera movements, the sequences, the photography, the blocking of the characters... The aesthetics and technical quality are completely unbelievable. This is German Expressionism at its best. Everything in this movie is pure genius. Murnau delivers a a gigantic masterpiece. A film that stands and will always do, as one of the most brilliant silent movies of all time.

13. Danny Kana's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Murnau had not only a profound understanding of cinema, but also one of life.

14. Charles1990's rating of the film The Last Laugh

15. xuxuxush's rating of the film The Last Laugh

How does Murnau manage to move me, wordlessly, over and over again?

16. soiwaswrong's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Thank god I've survive watching this silent film! Anyway, it was nice seeing a Murnau movie and for a 1924 movie, it was superb.....

17. Eostig Louet's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Genius in motion. There's really nothing compared to Murnau in the history of cinema. Still so fresh and inventive more than eighty years later.

18. Angelo Dagonel's rating of the film The Last Laugh

Was I the only person who absolutely loved this film up until the title card/ending?

19. Louis Léonard's rating of the film The Last Laugh

20. Doinel's rating of the film The Last Laugh

And forever damn the studio suits for making him tack on that ending.

21. Genaro Navarro's rating of the film The Last Laugh

I always liked the ending in this masterwork, I think Murnau put it in just a right way, remember the ending of Sunrise, It has to finish with light, Nosferatu also finish with light and Faust too. So I always have thought that the ending is very Murnau and not too tack on.

1 3 Next →