1. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film The Last Metro

This one has a 1940s efficiency to it. Goes straight to the point, the camera moves swiftly without calling attention to itself etc Masterful stuff.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Last Metro

Encore une oeuvre hautement encensée par les critiques de l'époque (et même actuellement) qui nous laisse dans l'indifférence la plus courtoise. Point de vue mûrement réfléchi, sans iconoclastie nécrophile. www.cinefiches.com

3. ammar's rating of the film The Last Metro

4. alimcintyre's rating of the film The Last Metro

The dullest Truffaut I've watched so far. It was all rather pointless.

5. Ethan's rating of the film The Last Metro

This is a great film from Francois Truffaut that captures his love for the cinema of his childhood and at the same time being as sexy and fresh as his earlier films. Denevue and Depardieu are an absolute delight in this.

6. film_lies101's rating of the film The Last Metro

The ending felt a bit rushed, as if Truffaut didn't know how to end it properly. It was a bit of relief to see a dramatic film with Nazis that wasn't suffocatingly oppressive

7. camille's rating of the film The Last Metro

8. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Last Metro

Attenuated. It did nothing for me.

9. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Last Metro

10. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film The Last Metro

11. Burak Ozyilmaz's rating of the film The Last Metro

Deneuve et sa froideur intimidante auront eu raison du supplément d'âme que l'on distingue habituellement chez Truffaut. Le théâtre n'est pas l'abri où l'on souffle mais le terrain de batailles internes en tout genre (censure, amour, argent) qui deviennent éprouvantes pour le spectateur, essoufflé dès le début de la seconde partie. Depardieu en ressort toutefois sans égratignure grâce à sa justesse enivrante

12. Samuel Donath's rating of the film The Last Metro

3.5 Not my favorite Truffaut, but an important film to see from him none the less. Good characters. Affecting backdrop.

13. daftnymph's rating of the film The Last Metro

entertaining, but why do I find deneuve so unimprintable as a protagonist?

14. jjekim's rating of the film The Last Metro

15. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film The Last Metro

The fact that it credits Truffaut as the person in charge of the mise en scene rather than the direction should tell you a lot about what kind of film this is. Despite its very un-cinematic nature I found myself engaged by the theatricality of it. The plot and characters were also well realised though I found the critic to be a bit uncertain in his morality. The film cant quite decide if it should humanize him or not

16. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film The Last Metro

Truffaut really does pull phenomenal colors with this exquisitely paced film. It reads like a novel on screen, its understated nature allowing the viewer to be engulfed by the simplicity of the narrative. It might not be the suspense-thriller-esque film most would expect by reading a synopsis, and it didn't have to be. Ultimately it goes to show that there were other relevant stories during Nazi occupied France.

17. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film The Last Metro

Altro saggio di bravura di quell'autore meraviglioso che era Francois Truffaut.Il bello di queste pellicole è che la storia ad un certo punto passa quasi sempre in secondo piano perchè si è totalmente rapiti dall'eleganza e dalla bellezza della messa in scena.Qui il rosso predominante(di bergmaniana memoria)è magnifico,e colora di ardore e passione la storia ed i suoi personaggi.Grandiose le scene nel sotterraneo.4*

18. bennievermeer's rating of the film The Last Metro

'Le Dernier Métro' (1980) quietly evokes the underground as a place of refuge and relative safety in the fearful arena of occupied Paris in WWII. At the film's center is Catherine Deneuve in one of her great roles as the liaison between different worlds, aloof but struggling under tremendous strain. Read my full review: http://www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2008/09/09/le-dernier-metro

19. Ahmed Nabil's rating of the film The Last Metro

interesting point of view. Thanks for sharing MAO!

20. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film The Last Metro

If you go in with way different expectations the result is much more pleasurable; would definitely benefit from a second viewing for most people. A lot of my initial issues have already been listed but looking back at it it seems that's most only because I was looking at it from the wrong viewpoint throughout much of it.

21. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film The Last Metro

deneuve's hairstyles, my god... jules et jim reloaded

22. Jakob Larsson's rating of the film The Last Metro

Am I the only one that sees shades of Inglourious Basterds in this? Surely Tarantino drew inspiration from this, it'd be farfetched to say that he copied it because he didn't at all but drew inspiration - sure, Laurent looks a bit like Laurent, it's a theater instead of a cinema but the color palette and style is often the same even if this is far more withdrawn and doesn't really have a Brad Pitt scalping nazis.

23. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Last Metro

A film about Paris under the Occupation that is slow,without drama and almost no character development.Plus,most glaring,an underused Gerard Depardieu. As if Truffaut thought celebrating theatre and Catherine Deneuve's beauty were enough. Not my favourite from the Great Truffaut.

24. McSmith's rating of the film The Last Metro

Truffaut attempts to synthesize stories of illicit romance, Resistance intrigue, and high-stakes theatre politics, but gives his viewers just messy tediousness.