1. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Masterpiece? Yes. A lot of times I feel 70s was last great era in American filmmaking, & my feelings are often justified when I watch the pure tripe that is turned out today. Shepard is a knockout & this is easily her best role, & all around exceptional ensemble cast gives the film added depth. Bog perfectly captures small town despair & at the same time makes a love letter to the films of Ford and Hawks. Essential.

2. LibertyCapz's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Probably one of the greatest coming of age dramas ever made. Really shows how much attraction can complicate relationships between people at times. Should we follow our moral compass or our genitals when we're wandering through this jungle called life? So fun seeing such a young Jeff Bridges as well. 10/10 movie for me.

3. Richard Tines's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

4. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

This is one of those cases where a single overarching conflict isn't so much in play, so much as a number of smaller conflicts that play out between characters regarding sex and love (Funny enough, Jacy is pretty much THE character responsible for moving the plot forward). But the presentation (the diegetic sound, noir aesthetic) gives the decay of town and characters so much punch. It's truly exceptional.

5. José Neves's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

35mm, rewatched. "It's a summer day, / and I want to be wanted more than anything else in the world." (Frank O'Hara) The beauty of Timothy Bottoms, Jeff Bridges, Sam Bottoms and Cybill Shepherd; the poesis of Cloris Leachman, Ellen Burstyn and Eileen Brennan; the iconic dimension of lion Ben Johnson; Robert Surtees cinematography and Bogdanovich's lucid vision of an agonic classicism.

6. Emily O's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

7. kinotopia's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

pretty stellar for what it is!

8. Ramzi's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Disappointment of youth. The life of a small town. Decay of a town. Great cast and characters (wish we saw more of Quaid). A film of sounds: music on the radio, a creaking bed, the wind blowing. Put all of this together, an excellent film.

9. Federico Boswarlos's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

10. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

The monotony and dreariness is this film's strength and weakness. It gives it weight, but also weighs it down. Some good emotional moments, but the monologues get to be a bit much. Ben Johnson and Timothy Bottoms give good performances. Leachman, Bridges and Shepherd are good, but I don't understand the acclaim for Leachman.

11. bagno's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

12. atartinia's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

The scene with Ben Johnson and the boys out at the water-tank is one of the best monologue scenes in all of film history.

13. cinegeek.de's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

(...)Während er erzählt, stellen wir fest, dass wir dem Mythos von Sams Leben zuhören. Seiner Vision von Schönheit, die ihn überhaupt am Leben erhält in der Einöde einer sterbenden Stadt: Anarene, Texas. Sam, gespielt von dem Western Darsteller Ben Johnson, ist die Seele von Anarene. Er betreibt das Diner, die Billard Halle und das Royal Theater. Die einzigen Orte, in denen überhaupt etwas los ist.(...)

14. ADZERTY's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

C'est le genre de chef d'œuvre qui vous apprend à accepter ce qu'est la vie, à relativiser, en peignant l'homme tel qu'il est, à la fois sublime et misérable, fragile et superficiel. Une grande fresque. A la fois nostalgique et désabusée.

15. Thomas's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

A spectacular epic of 1950's Americana. Rambling and evocative, perfectly nuanced and heartrending. It also showcases Surtees lavish and lingering cinematography, reminiscent of the iconic western vistas of earlier films by the likes of John Ford. A technical triumph.

16. Mal Smith's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

A rather depressing story of frustrated teenagers and clapped-out oldies trying to survive in a cultural desert. But the acting, dialogue, set pieces, and cinematography are first rate, which makes for a must see classic. Loses a star for dragging out the bad sex scenes, and for being uniformly grim.

17. Crina Bucur's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

18. Natty's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

the academy awards' 30 yr reunion of the cast is well worth finding.

19. raggiodisole's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Have often wondered what makes a film absorbing. Still don't know. This is a brilliant evocation of nostalgia, the desire it draws up in us, the desire to be older as young ones, and younger as we get old. Richly nuanced and detailed. Unmissable.

20. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

First time I saw this American classic. I was swept away bi its amazing portrait of lost American provinciana of the 50s. The work with the spaces in the town is so good. A beautiful film, full of nostalgia, and an amazing actors directing and acting. And what a cast! I liked especially Timothy Bottoms, reminding us a bit (not incidentally) of James Dean.

21. T.h. Marvelsteins's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Why don´t you love me like you used to do? A gritty plaintive and poignant paean to 50's Americana. A dry Texas dust bowl plays stage to inarticulate and doomed youthful ambitions and confused emotions, while the elders can only watch wryly as history repeats and unravels. A masterpiece that stays with you long after the picture flicker fades.

22. Superfrog's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Great photography, a fine subject finely covered but maybe the very American nature of the story fails to engage me that much, in spite of the relative universality of the matters at hand.

23. Carmine Loru's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Such a good piece of provincial Americana epic.

24. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Last Picture Show

Great americana, with an overdose of Hank. Nothing original in here, Bogdanovich pays tribute to the B movies and 50's flicks. Not a classic by it's own, but a classic in terms to look at all that and try to bring it together, as a homage.

← Previous 1 3 4 5