1. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Zwick's appreciation for Ran in full display. He's a creative filmmaker capable of creating remarkable and gorgeous battle sequences. His frames have scope and grandiosity and are filled with color and emotion. However, there is an undeniable element of "the West comes to the rescue" that just doesn't work for me. I'd much preferred if Cruise's character was caught in this war and had less of an active participation.

2. Chris CS's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Great cinematography from John Toll. But also Tom Cruise being the best Samurai ever in 6 months. Ironic levels of innate imperialist ideology.

3. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Last Samurai

With this film Ed Zwick creates his best film since Glory. This is a sweeping epic filled with grand battles and beautiful cinematography. My favorite moments weren't the giant set pieces, but the small intimate moments that Zwick creates. The real standout is Ken Watanabe, he delivers one of his best performances. However, a lot of the cultural and historical inaccuracies hinder this from being a truly great film.

4. biting the hand that feeds me's rating of the film The Last Samurai

nauseated by this blasphemy how is this even allowed??

5. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Banging soundtrack, one of Zimmer's best

6. James Mackin's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Tom Cruise is the Last Samurai? Seriously?

7. tommy cruise's rating of the film The Last Samurai

8. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Tom Cruise's beard/hair is so good in this movie that it covers for some obvious flaws.

9. Fré Verguchten's rating of the film The Last Samurai

10. Star Lord's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Gran bel film. Tom Cruise da applausi.

11. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Last Samurai

12. Ruben Ribeiro's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Such a great story, loved the mixture between cultures, and the whole plot.

13. Levent Güçer's rating of the film The Last Samurai

14. angiebasuki's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Even if it's one of Tom Cruise's best film, but couldn't be considered as a good Japan film at all. Murica always minding other countries business. Tom Cruise is like the white guy in Pocahontas or Avatar, ends up making this film is just about white guys fighting each other with Japanese people and cultures as decorations of the set.

15. Natanael Paulino's rating of the film The Last Samurai

16. Shiro's rating of the film The Last Samurai

17. hastapura's rating of the film The Last Samurai

When I aim to overthrow a modernized regime armed with Howitzers and rifles, I'm definitely gonna run at them with swords. Yeah. That'll do the trick. Sadly, the historical truth isn't nearly as noble (read: insanely stupid), but then it doesn't have a sexy Hollywood actor, does it?

18. Cromm Crúaich's rating of the film The Last Samurai

I loved that skit from the Chappelle Show: http://youtu.be/oE4XK2YZL9Y

19. Pierre's rating of the film The Last Samurai

The production design and armor are pretty incredible, despite a typical Cruise vehicle about a self-centered jerk who learns his lesson and goes on to fight for a goal bigger than himself.

20. Laura Gomes's rating of the film The Last Samurai

This was a really interesting film. The storyline was ok, but what made the movie for me was the great soundtrack (excelent work by Hans Zimmer... as usually) along the epic feeling given by the scenery.

21. ElTigreNegro's rating of the film The Last Samurai

Starring Tom Cruise's ego.

22. Tigrão's rating of the film The Last Samurai

It's a great piece of entertainment, gorgeously photographed and really well directed. I also find that, despite the basic Hollywood concept of identification to your "enemies", there is a really interesting historical background, where we can witness the transition between two types of societies, two types of armies, and ultimately, two types of war. Really compelling and really cool epic.

23. Dark Knight's rating of the film The Last Samurai

24. Zachary T.'s rating of the film The Last Samurai

Another reverse-captivity narrative written off (perhaps not unfairly) for its gross historical inaccuracies and the use of a white American protagonist (Jules Brunet, who inspired Algren, was French). "The Last Samurai" is nevertheless a beautifully shot, rousing epic, one I find all the more interesting for its marriage of cultures, wobbly though it may be. Inarguably some of Watanabe's most affecting work, too.