1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Last Wave

Une réalisation solide et lente du "pays où rêvent les fourmis vertes". Sans égaler le splendide chef-d'oeuvre précédent du metteur en scène ("Picnic à Hanging Rock"), elle reste un excellent moment de cinéma... www.cinefiches.com

2. Tuna's rating of the film The Last Wave

3. Corriel's rating of the film The Last Wave

This is a well worth watching film, peculiar in its story, and thus interesting, with a rather weird atmosphere.

4. sacajawèale's rating of the film The Last Wave

5. Mathias Palmberg's rating of the film The Last Wave

Great movie with surreal and dreamlike sequences that will haunt you. Weir has crafted a movie that works on many levels and carries great performances by the cast.

6. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Last Wave

Lo mejor de "La última ola" es su introducción y su final. Weir, al igual que en su ópera prima, toma lo místico y lo convierte en una historia de terror. Aquí lo premonitorio se convierte en una suerte de pesadilla (cristalizada), esta impuesta a un individuo escéptico de esa normatividad aborigen. A lo largo veremos cómo los citadinos se sacuden de esa conciencia incipiente. Lo que desmotiva: el drama judicial.

7. Horror Whore's rating of the film The Last Wave

Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?

8. Knut Morte's rating of the film The Last Wave

9. MaríaPosse's rating of the film The Last Wave

the theme of water for me was enough of a hook; some really good, some not believeable enough.

10. Joel's rating of the film The Last Wave

A little more straight-laced then the Still above would suggest. Yet perhaps that's it's strength, it's both somewhat normal 80s crime thriller and elements of the mystical surrealism of Picnic at Hanging Rock. It's those poetic elements and the downright creepiness of this film that cause it to linger.

11. J. O.'s rating of the film The Last Wave

An outstanding example of controlled, yet highly effective, storytelling by the brilliant Peter Weir - this is without a doubt his best picture. The eerie apocalypticism that manages to creep into the story so subtly soon becomes the overwhelming force that drives it. Beautifully shot from start to finish with incredibly compelling performances by all - "The Last Wave" is the perfect Australian new-wave film.

12. wolfmansRazor's rating of the film The Last Wave

Peter Weir's amazing water-drenched legal-drama-cum-hallucinatory-mystery about Sydney's aboriginal underclass. I loved it. Its attitude toward native peoples is remarkably similar to Wolfen's. The natives are relegated to the status of an impoverished underclass and pushed to the fringes of the urban environment. By maintaining a connection to their ancient culture, they enjoy mystical powers the whites can't fathom

13. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film The Last Wave

This film goes places that Picnic at Hanging Rock only hints at. It's eerie and beautiful and rifled with suspense. The cinematography and direction are even more assured here. My favorite quote was, "A dream is a reflection of reality." Portions of this had me wondering if it inspired Lynch and Murakami. I won't be able to get this film out of my head for a while, that much I know.

14. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film The Last Wave

A haunting character study about a pragmatic man who slowly becomes a believer the hard way. Engulfed by visions that connect him with the mysteries of the aboriginals and an apocalyptic prophecy. Not as well known as 'Picnic at hanging rock' but certainly better.

15. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Last Wave

A wonderfully mysterious fantasy with an entrancing score. Read Proust at the beach on a nice day then go home and get high or drunk and watch this film and it's magic. I wish Peter Weir were still making movies like this or Picnic at Hanging Rock.

16. Tigrão's rating of the film The Last Wave

I am really, REALLY, becoming a huge Peter Weir fan.

17. film_lies101's rating of the film The Last Wave

An absolutely beautiful, haunting masterpiece, it is a shame Peter Weir does not make films like this anymore.

18. Remote Viewer's rating of the film The Last Wave

Two...er...death bones up for the hallucinatory ambience but it’s a fairly unholy cooperation of slack pace, eerie imagery, and sulking didgeridoo. I thought the haunting visuals would be enough to carry the film; by the end, however, the protagonist, the story line, and my expectations had flushed themselves down the sewer.

19. Citizen Spain's rating of the film The Last Wave

I agree with Bob. Paying close attention to the aborigines' prophecies will reward you with a very rich and unique experience. Weir is a master of strangely tense atmosphere.