1. Ethan's rating of the film The Law

This is a very sexy and playful film.

2. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Law

First non-noir Dassin film I have seen. Handles this, at times, rather bizarre comedy quite well. Lollobrigida is at full babe status in this one and is pure eye candy, making a straight man such as myself long for a time machine. Pretty strange film being filmed with Italian actors speaking French and all.

3. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Law

Wow, so perverse it's totally a french film set in Italy. And that scene of Mariette tied up with the chilly pepper halo will live for ever in me.

4. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Law

5. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Law

Another surprise gem that is often overlooked (especially considering Dassin's own Rififi and Night And The City), The Law is wholly enjoyable, if not fully focused. Marcello Mastroianni is great as always, but this film belongs to Gina Lollobrigida, who exudes sensuality, cleverness, and charm in every frame.

6. Edmund Poliks's rating of the film The Law

A screwy, unfocused, but nonetheless entertaining picture of feudalism amongst the backdrop of Italian romance. This movie juggles plot-lines like it has something to prove, but there is an infectious energy that breezes vibrantly throughout its running-time. I attribute that to Gina Lobobrigida who, much like the film as itself, captivates with equal parts whimsy and fury through every weave of this layered farce.

7. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film The Law

A "moderate leftist" film (who can blame anyone for that? haha) with a great cast and an especially great sense of place. A lot of moving parts that, for me, constellated in ways that were consistently interesting, thoughtful, and VERY funny. Beautifully shot, surprising from beginning to end, and just...I dunno, a lot of fun! A real testament to the two hour film as form (and the space it gives to amble).

8. David R Williams's rating of the film The Law

"Lurid and politically astute" indeed. "The Law" - the drinking game played by the villagers is an exercise in degradation and humiliation that they willingly take part in. You can feel Mastroianni's disgust. This is only one of many powerful scenes - which all these years later still retain their ability to shock. Great cast and Lollobrigida exudes carnality throughout.

9. wayne roylance's rating of the film The Law

odd to see an italian film in french. still, the film, though slight, is a pleasantly frothy concoction buttressed by the always welcome presence of Lollobrigida, Mastroianni, Montand and last but not least Paolo Stoppa.

10. caitlin.f's rating of the film The Law

11. Alan Bernheimer's rating of the film The Law

Pretty silly stuff, gorgeously photographed with a cast to match.

12. sark's rating of the film The Law

I could look at Gina Lollobrigida for days and days and days....

13. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Law

if it was just the scenes with gina lollobrigida it would be a ten star movie

14. Honeychurch's rating of the film The Law

A charming tale in small town Italy. It was a bit disconcerting though to see a movie set in rural Italy with Italian actors be dubbed in French. Really took me out of the experience.

15. David Richards's rating of the film The Law

Visually interesting, with a story that is never predictable... I loved it.

16. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film The Law

17. Jefferson's rating of the film The Law

It takes a stab at the crooks and their 'lawyers' who disable the everyday citizens from achieving an equal level of prosperity. When, in the end, the crooks are dethroned and the men run to the tavern for free wine, the film seems to champion the industry of the agronomist but I think that the pigeon and the two thousand year old vase portray the cyclical nature of corruption and envision the plundering to come.

18. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Law

A perfectly nuanced portrait of gender politics that juggles frivolity, intensity and (imagine that) a wonderfully contagious excitement. It only helps that, with this role, Gina Lollobrigida enters the filmic Asgard of screen sirens alongside Monroe, Hayworth, Tierney, and Bardot.

19. cronan's rating of the film The Law

Not a masterpiece but still witty and entertaining.

20. Rhondo Alameda's rating of the film The Law

A beautiful woman every man in the town is in love with has a master plan... Wonderful acting, story, and cinematography. Don't miss this one- it's a gem.

21. Weston Campbell's rating of the film The Law

Excellent drama simultaneously handling conflicts of power, respect, sex and station.