1. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Un grande classico, invecchiato benissimo. Film di propaganda (girato nel 1943 e si sente) sul nuovo modo di fare la guerra (non più tra gentlemen ma tra gangster). Tre storie (di cui una fa da cornice). La parte "berlinese" è sicuramente la la migliore, la più briosa e quella più significativa. Gli anni della IGM sono "medi", mentre decisamente meno godibile la parte contemporanea. Technicolor (e restauro) da favola

2. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

I honestly disliked a great big chunk of this, far too British and dreary and stagy for my personal liking. But to be fair, I did enjoy the final moments of the film a great bit and grew to really like the characters. The fear of losing the war against Nazis was a sure thing.

3. Andy King's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Propaganda film disguised as a melodrama. The life-long friendship between a German and British soldier was touching in a sickly sweet way, but they pushed the "British gentleman as noble warrior" button too often.

4. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

can we just talk about how Deborah Kerr masters three entirely different roles with only minimal changes to her physical appearance???

5. Log Lady's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Excellent character study, satirical view of the British army without being too harsh or cheap, the melancholia of passing time and romance... Not as impressive or close to my heart as Black Narcissus, but a lot more fresh, non-stereotypical, gentle, appealing, and upright than some of its American war epic counterparts.

6. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Probably the best photographed, gorgeously shot and epic propaganda war drama that was made during WW2. It has a great acting trio in Livesey, Walbrook and Kerr. It can also be a confusing film as it mixes all genres: comedy, drama and war epic into one big cauldron. Winston Churchill loses his legend status in my history book as he actually tried to ban the film due to his own personal distaste for it.

7. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

A creditable original screenplay by the directors, with lush colour photography. The contents of the long-winded script are witty and critical of the attitudes of British upper class. Deborah Kerr plays three different ladies who look similar. And there is no Col. Blimp in the entire film which is centered on an affable, bumbling character named General Candy, who won a Victoria Cross medal.

8. Pedderrs's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Powell and Pressburger were criminally good at this time. I was somewhat intimidated when I read the running time was a whopping 163 minutes, but the characterisations are so rich with detail that you'll soon be wanting for more. The script is both funny and moving in equal measure, and elevated to even greater heights by an extraordinarily talented cast of actors. And if that's not enough, every frame is a painting.

9. Hyperion_333's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

...and what should they know of England, who only England know?

10. FISCHER's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

>>> Oeuvre toute en finesse et en humour, difficile à résumer tant elle fourmille de trouvailles et d'intérêt... www.cinefiches.com

11. Joel's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

The first act took a bit to find me compelled. At first this film plays like a pleasant sunday afternoon film but the final act is full of powerful commentary on the complexities of war. A really profound look at age and the changing difficulties of the world at war. Really rewarding work. Every film by the archers seems to have a powerful depth beyond it's elegant frames and epic set ups.

12. Marc Saffar's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

J'ai adoré ce film dont j'ai tout trouvé beau : la photo et les fantastiques couleurs de ces "petits soldats", la vie qui s'en dégage, la peinture et la finesse des sentiments, le manifeste pour la fraternité et Deborah Kerr.

13. Tibulle85's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Premier constat: c'est affreusement long! Le rythme pépère du film fait des ravages sur 2h40! Le script m'a aussi semblé par endroits extrêmement foutraque, au point de rendre difficile la compréhension (à commencer par la scène d'ouverture).Plus grave: pour un film de 1943, le discours général sur la guerre m'a semblé à côté de la plaque (trop anglais?) de la même manière que pouvait l'être celui de "49e parallèle".

14. Michael H. CLAES's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

15. bessede's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

j'ai tenu 1h40. C'est désuet, dans le mauvais sens du terme : nian nian et neu neu à qui mieux mieux.

16. David Rivera Castro's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Excelente película. Como en La Gran Ilusión de Renoir muestra el fin de la inocencia (si es que algún día la hubo) que trajo la Segunda Guerra y la idea de que "todo se vale". Pero hay algo que permanece y que resurge: la belleza –en este caso encarnada en Deborah Kerr–.

17. Ludovic72's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Un film anglais réalisé durant la Seconde guerre mondiale et centré sur des "militaires civilisés", voilà qui a des accents forcément trop patriotiques. Heureusement, ses messages ont surtout une visée humaniste. De plus, la mise en scène de Powell et Pressburger (et le technicolor) sont une nouvelle fois éblouissants, tout comme le trio d'acteurs. L'attraction majeure reste bien sûr Deborah Kerr et ses trois rôles !

18. azoulay's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

C'est un film qui a tous les défauts de l'opérette mais a qui il manque la seule qualité qui la sauve,à savoir la musique et les airs. Intenable

19. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

I enjoyed how this film, which starts as a WW2 "morale booster" cleverly encapsulates a multilayered and interesting story, which escapes many stereotypes and cliches from the era. Impressive Technicolor cinematography, very strong performances. Top class cinema, watching this film I felt like I was transported back in time...

20. RenaissancePete's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

21. Mark Clay's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

What a remarkable film. Completely different to what I'd imagined (I thought it was a tragedy in the vein of some Conrad anti-hero) its breadth and ambition is something rarely attempted. Loved it!

22. miles's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

23. DanB3000's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

An incredible film, I can't think of anything quite like it. Deborah Kerr is just lovely in it, too.

24. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Great movie, well executed shift in mood from comedy to serious matters, looking at love, friendship and loyalty with the backdrop of war. Some great speeches. Long, but it held my attention throughout. Recommended.