1. dordairobert's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

2. Barrett.'s rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Our actions, choices and experiences shape who we are. Oharu's downward spiral is never shown as excessively sympathetic, we are shown how decisions bring consequences and thus change ones character. In this case, the era is very unforgiving to Oharu & women in general, Oharu wonders like an empty vessel searching for happiness & love but cannot escape her past actions. Epic yet lyrical and poetic.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Puissant et somptueux chef-d'oeuvre dramatique fait de lenteur, de beauté et de rigoureuse perfection, souvent considéré comme la meilleure réalisation du cinéaste... www.cinefiches.com

4. peaches and plums's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

5. Kamran's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

A life of pain and suffering is indiscriminately inflicted by the blind tradition following status quoers of phallocentric feudal Japan. 92/100 - Amazing.

6. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

The buds of Mizoguchi’s early films blossom fully here. The compositions and camera work are great, as are the performances. Really, truly heartbreaking at times.

7. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

8. jchandleroc's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Life for Mizoguchi's women is a seemingly inexhaustible source of pain, and it is this pain that drives Oharu--played by the inimitable Kinuyo Tanaka--into complete and utter despair but ultimately towards an acute and transcendent(?) awareness that there is nothing on this earth that can provide any lasting state of happiness.

9. José Neves's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Simultaneously, an apogee of the narrative classic system, with centralized figures in the frame and a camera that fits/frames them while perspectives a becoming constantly reshaped and accentuated - the best travellings ever made are from Mizoguchi -, being also a reading of women's role in a feudal society that even today, in our frustrated contemporary, remains regrettably acutely, of an over-romantic dimension.

10. Manuel Almeida's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

11. HSBilly's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

maybe mizoguchi is a feminist, but he also a tragedist, what a word.

12. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

How To Become a Saint, pure melodrama in the positive sense.

13. T.J. Royal's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

There was a big difference in my emotional response to "Sansho" and "Ugetsu" compared to Oharu. In the first two, I became 100 percent invested in the characters and their specific circumstances. The impact in this one was thematic, when I thought about how cruel the action of "ownership" can become, specifically of the lives of women at this time.

14. ijol's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Tragically beautiful.

15. Kid Sisyphus's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

It's like Black Beauty but for women.

16. knockkneed's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

I adore Mizoguchi, but this left no impression on me

17. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Mizoguchi is one of the rare filmmakers who seemed to get better with age, here's proof!

18. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Sort of like drifting in zero-g while experiencing the sadness of every woman who ever lived in a patriarchal society.

19. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

The great Kinuyo Tanaka gives an astounding performance as one of the most tragic women I've ever seen on film.

20. Genaro Navarro's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

21. Martin Wilson's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

"You're no different from a fish on a chopping board. We can serve you up any way we like." So says a proud man to a woman. But the woman, Oharu, is the beating heart of this ruthlessly simple story. With a surgeon's scalpel, Mizoguchi exposes the cancer that makes such a proud society possible. And this story, like a mediaeval folk ballad, reveals, like Kafka's The Trial, an entire universe of rejection and pain.

22. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

The world outside of Japan finally sat up and took notice of Kenji Mizoguchi in 1952 with the release of THE LIFE OF OHARU, the director's exquisitely sad tale of a lady in waiting who, through a series of unfortunate events and tragedies, falls from grace to become a prostitute. His flair for strong female characters is on full display here, centering around Kinuyo Tanaka's mesmerizing performance in the title role.

23. edgar edgar's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

so glad i wasn't born a woman during feudal japan

24. Scott Barley's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

The narrative progression of the unpropitious events in Oharu's life reminded me of Bresson's work, in particular, Mouchette. A tragic film, but a beautiful one.