1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Don't let anybody tell you it can't get any worse because I promise you it can!

2. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

'The Life of Oharu' is played out as a string of vignettes, one tragedy after another. The peerless Kinuyo Tanaka is magnificent as a woman beaten down and reduced to nothing by the very society that bore her misfortunes. Japanese film makers often draw inspiration from their rich and storied past, but few have observed so astutely the downfall of a system stifled by its own pride, honor and readiness to dehumanize.

3. zotibaws's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

How sadness is portrayed in this movie, unbelievable.

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

5. Aardsy's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Naughty girls need work too.

6. dordairobert's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

7. Barrett.'s rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Our actions, choices and experiences shape who we are. Oharu's downward spiral is never shown as excessively sympathetic, we are shown how decisions bring consequences and thus change ones character. In this case, the era is very unforgiving to Oharu & women in general, Oharu wonders like an empty vessel searching for happiness & love but cannot escape her past actions. Epic yet lyrical and poetic.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Puissant et somptueux chef-d'oeuvre dramatique fait de lenteur, de beauté et de rigoureuse perfection, souvent considéré comme la meilleure réalisation du cinéaste... www.cinefiches.com

9. marlonbrandodepressed's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

10. Kamran's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

A life of pain and suffering is indiscriminately inflicted by the blind tradition following status quoers of phallocentric feudal Japan. 92/100 - Amazing.

11. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

The buds of Mizoguchi’s early films blossom fully here. The compositions and camera work are great, as are the performances. Really, truly heartbreaking at times.

12. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

13. jchandleroc's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Life for Mizoguchi's women is a seemingly inexhaustible source of pain, and it is this pain that drives Oharu--played by the inimitable Kinuyo Tanaka--into complete and utter despair but ultimately towards an acute and transcendent(?) awareness that there is nothing on this earth that can provide any lasting state of happiness.

14. José Neves's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Simultaneously, an apogee of the narrative classic system, with centralized figures in the frame and a camera that fits/frames them while perspectives a becoming constantly reshaped and accentuated - the best travellings ever made are from Mizoguchi -, being also a reading of women's role in a feudal society that even today, in our frustrated contemporary, remains regrettably acutely, of an over-romantic dimension.

15. Manuel Almeida's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

16. HSBilly's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

maybe mizoguchi is a feminist, but he also a tragedist, what a word.

17. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

How To Become a Saint, pure melodrama in the positive sense.

18. T.J. Royal's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

There was a big difference in my emotional response to "Sansho" and "Ugetsu" compared to Oharu. In the first two, I became 100 percent invested in the characters and their specific circumstances. The impact in this one was thematic, when I thought about how cruel the action of "ownership" can become, specifically of the lives of women at this time.

19. ijol's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Tragically beautiful.

20. Kid Sisyphus's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

It's like Black Beauty but for women.

21. knockkneed's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

I adore Mizoguchi, but this left no impression on me

22. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Mizoguchi is one of the rare filmmakers who seemed to get better with age, here's proof!

23. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

Sort of like drifting in zero-g while experiencing the sadness of every woman who ever lived in a patriarchal society.

24. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film The Life of Oharu

The great Kinuyo Tanaka gives an astounding performance as one of the most tragic women I've ever seen on film.