1. Bryan Farfán's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Una familia con una estrecha relación con la muerte y que a pesar de ello no puede llegar a aceptarla. Una actitud ingenua y falta de carácter de los chicos ante la preocupación y melancolía de sus mayores en medio de un decadente y lúgubre otoño, todo un drama muy bien articulado bajo el ojo de Desplechin, amo.

2. fabioabu's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

3. captainfez's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

If you were my family I'd top myself, too.

4. Drafthing Dan's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

4 families gathering, they express an indefinable mixture of emotions by joking, fooling around, playing with each other as if they try not to take the situation seriously that they have a dying young man of their family at the hospital. Sketching characterizations of 17 people for a mere 54 minutes, it’s not complicated but complex.

5. Laura Suffield's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

You showed this on Spanish MUBI not that long go. Of the 30 films you are currently showing, I have already seen 10 of them on Spanish movie in the past 2 years. Do you get cheap deals on some films and then just keep re-showing them?

6. Ebru Yörükoğlu's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

this one somehow grows on you.

7. Bilouaustria's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Early feature and already very symptomatic of Desplechin´s work, with a bourgeois family about to explode. Lots of love-hate-tension that clearly reminds Bergman even when formally the film looks very freely in another direction. With this film comes also the constitution of a fantastic group of actors that will follow Desplechin over and over again (Devos, Denicourt, Salinger etc). Best french cinema of the 1990´s.

8. Laurent Blaise's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

L'époque révolue où l'imperméable était de rigueur.

9. Jane de Deus's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

They all seem unrepressed, whatever their other problems might be.

10. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

A film about death, filled with so many young faces, filmed so long ago that it's gathered the dusty look of a forgotten family heirloom, waiting to be uncovered by our eyes some 25 years later.

11. db's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Moving, soulful, and admirably concise.

12. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Love Desplechin's articulate drama. Where else an ensamble may you find, reciting Baudelaire!!!

13. bedlamtom's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

It is like visiting a friend's family that is way more interesting than your own.

14. nein's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

It seems like Desplechin wanted to tell a story and didn't want it at the same time. It's a bit confusing but seems genuine. Awesome music.

15. Derrick Derrick's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

His portrayal of family life is profoundly moving.

16. Opgeblazen buik's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Ye, nice one.. and that for a french movie :-)

17. msmichel's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Early medium length feature from Desplechin that looks at the aftermath of a young man's suicide attempt on his extended family. We mostly follow his siblings and cousins' conversations and like the director's later works the dialogue crackles a little more than the story. The feel of interaction by relatives one isn't so intimate with feels genuine picking up their positive and negative behaviours. Very cold though.

18. FIDEL MEJIA's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

This film is very good and I think that persons who appear live their roll

19. David Boxwell's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Short, dry-run for UN CONTE DE NOEL. Showed huge potential, since realized to a superb degree.

20. Drew.'s rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Where can I see this and The Sentinel?

21. asoces's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

Great film. I wish it was longer. I could watch hours more of this :-)

22. Leonid Sokolov's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

You can see his talent for complex human interactions already, his understading of familys in their beauty and disgust. He add more humor to his later films, keeping the dispair. Interesting film for those who've seen his other works.

23. Carlos Quintão's rating of the film The Life of the Dead

LA VIE DES MORTS mostra que Arnaud Desplechin já era fascinado com famílias enormes e desestruturadas desde seu primeiro filme. Só que o que fazia em pouco mais de 50 minutos, agora gasta cerca de 3 horas. Aspect ratio: 1.75:1