1. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

A celebration of strength, told plainly, which is bold in its own right. I can't think of many films that resonate with humanity as powerfully or poetically as this one. Mambety's swan song is simply a gift, given generously.

2. Perro Semihundido's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Quisiera tener unos anteojos como esos.

3. Ghostman's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

A beautiful & compassionate film from Senegal about a physically crippled girl who decides to make a living selling newspapers. At a concise 45 minutes, the film is able to depict a full-fledged human being & in them show something that resembles the human condition. Directed by Djibril Diop Mambety, this was his last film before dying of lung cancer. This is a major work, regardless of being a feature film or short

4. aurkihnowe's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

from the title i was expecting something more poetic, not literal, but i must say i enjoyed this short film, mostly for the stoic moxie of the titular girl...

5. Carl Jordan Ordonez's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

The slow entry into this film allows for the depth of this setting's depravity to immerse and surround your senses. The social climate is obvious but not glaringly blatant; and it serves as a perfect landscape for this powerful speck of illumination that the protagonist becomes. And what makes it truly 'perfect'? It's the honesty of these non-pro actors playing off the roles of their intimate reality.

6. ejonline's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

A rare film in which I feel like I'm learning something both about the world and about filmmaking in every shot. Everything matters, but it is so graceful and economical that it never strains under the weight of symbolism. The audio was also noteworthy - not only the soundtrack, but the way that the film used the sounds of everyday life to help build the world. The acting of lead child was energetic but nuanced.

7. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Such a refreshimg and inventive film. Couldn’t decide if it wants more political critique and bite, or more of the curious allegorical/real flicker, or both. Seems kin with Manoel de Oliviera’s oblique ways. Thank you, Mubi, for expanding my experience of what and how film can be. Much more of this is needed.

8. mpho3's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

"This tale is thrown to the sea. The first to breathe it will go to heaven."

9. David R Williams's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Perhaps one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. Essential.

10. chaospress's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

11. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

I have not had this bittersweet feeling in my chest since I was a kid and read Soviet books about smart, enterprising kids overcoming adversity. Such a beautiful portrait of the street youth, and an uplifting parable on why being kind matters. This is my first Mambety, and I'm brokenhearted that he died during the filming. Happy to learn that Lissa Balera was able to attend school with the money she made filming.

12. zubee's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

You can't keep a good girl down, and our heroine is just enchanting. A lovely sing song voice, a high spirit and lots of pluck. Oh yes like Nausicaa in James Joyce's Ulysses our angel has a game leg, but that doesn't stop her and you root for her all the more because picks herself up and starts all over again. An obvious metaphor for Africa -- that could learn a thing or two from her.

13. between7skies's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

A perfect film on all levels.

14. Appskosam's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

If u want me to rate out of empathy its 4 . But if u want me to rate on art of film making its 1

15. fecalis's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Très belle histoire,les personnages ne sont pas des acteurs et c’est pour cela que ce film est vrai .Aucun acteur n’aurait pu être aussi crédible .Ce film est un hymne à l’Afrique et au courage d’une partie des africains c’est à dire des plus pauvres.

16. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

An all too forgiving film. If one longs for a revolutionary impulse, a critique of capital, a clear statement about the post-colonial condition, they won't find it here. Instead Mambety dishes out a heavy dose of sentimentality that lets everyone and everything off the hook...including the passive Western viewer. Well worth watching to come to your own conclusion....it is a touching film with a memorable aesthetic.

17. dvdlws's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Wonderful film that manages to track the difficulties of everyday life without becoming cliched or sentimental. An excellent insight into a life that most of us are lucky not to experience.

18. Juurakkotukka's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

19. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

I like how stripped down this film was and how quietly transgressive it is.

20. shelbywelldone's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

21. BUSTER TIERNEY's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

3,8/5 Belle évocation, simple, efficace, humain, touchant sans pathos. On est en Afrique, donc pas de panda, c'est logique (et pourtant...)

22. Ernesto's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Una romántica manera de ver cómo se juega la dignidad en las calles, todos los días. Hermosa peli

23. juan's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

No sé quien escribe las "sinopsis" o los "por qué verlas" pero la palabra "patetismo" no tiene cabida en este film. El que la escribió no entendió la película. Cada cual ve lo que quiere ver y otros no ven nada.

24. Jeff Lau's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun