1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

A little too sweet, but Sili and her steadfastness is truly so contagious. I smiled my way through this short.

2. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Mambety called it a "Hymn" and I can't think of a more accurate description. Its expresses the courageous innards of the marginalized while not pandering or exoticizing their plights. Plus it has one of the best scores Ive ever listened too.

3. fada19's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

4. mirna.wilches's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

6. dionysus67's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

The theme of children's plight in the developing world is both moving and essential for any political vision. In Mambèty's film any melodramatic addenda are redundant as the realism and the girl's dignified struggle for a living are elegantly woven into a filmic 'brochure' about colonialism and communal divisions, childhood and abrupt maturation. The dramaturgy may be toned down, but it is powerful enough as is.

7. Noli Manaig's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

The syntagm "courage of children" can only go so far in these ruthless & cut-throat times -- a limp & empty talisman. Mambety's flm foists a banal version of this, a fable, a falsification worthy of Wordsworth, one perused through rose-colored glasses, inserted here into a sterile vacuum. This is more like affirmative action -- African-style -- for the young and disabled.

8. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

9. José Neves's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

4,5. Without the iconoclastic and kinetic experimentation of some of his previous films, this movie is a fictionalized portrait of a generation, a people, a territory, an economic and cultural reality. Shortly, with an impressive wealth of nuances and the unparalleled accuracy of a plastic and ethical look, Mambéty remakes a cinema done at the expense of "good feelings", from within and with no complacency.

10. Peđa's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

11. kartina obskura's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

that her move when she says "let´s go"!!! wonderful film ♥♥♥

12. Den-Leroy Kangalee's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

A beautiful film. Mambety's art is sorely underrated and under-discussed. I like the long reach of Sembene, but I prefer short the thrust of Mambety. Somehow, his characters and his mode of expression is a hair more personal...and at times more haunting.

13. Nancy Stark's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Just saw this for the first time. It's a perfect film. I knew I was going to like it when they shot the man's hands, dust-covered, making gravel with a hammer. The heroine is all muscle, and the film maker creates scenes in which she soars.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun

Djibril Diop Mambety's swan song, perhaps my most favorite African film ever. 45 minutes long, I call it a feature film, not a short, as it is a powerful and complete story. Touki Bouki is perhaps the most famous West African film, but I love this one even more. Lissa Balera stars, and she also has a cameo in "Le Franc". Where is she now? Mambety only made 7 films in his life, if you only see one, see this one.

15. Scout Tafoya's rating of the film The Little Girl Who Sold the Sun