1. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I'll agree that it's fun enough. Gould's Marlowe is a pleasure to watch (+ 25yr old Schwarzenegger!). Directorially, felt a little arbitrarily put together, and a little immature. Fine, just not really all that good. 2.5.

2. Jason's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Timeless story of a man and his cat. The term "hardboiled" denotes a kind of thick-skinned philosophy. It extends beyond Chandler and co. Writers as disparate as Henry Miller and Jean Genet traffic in it. Elliott Gould is an especially blasé kind of hardboiled. Here we have a movie star as great as any who preceded him. His best before date appears to have arrived too soon, but in 1973 he and Altman were untouchable.

3. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

4. blkrchs's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

5. Elephants Gerald's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Altman brushed away the trudging melancholy of the source material and drilled in to its overarching streak of fractured nonsense -- Marlowe as a mumbling, bitter, sarcastic man out of time, barely registering the surreal non sequiturs surrounding him. Altman was ingenious to take the irony-adjacent cynicism of Raymond Chandler's noir and infuse it to bursting point with burn-out, post-hippie, unambiguous irony.

6. film_frame's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Eliot fucking Gould!!!!!!Robert goddamn Altman!!!!! This is required viewing!

7. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I watched this before long time ago but I couldn't remember the plot & the characters. But I always had & have in mind (1) the absolutely cool & in every scene chain smoking Elliot Gould (2) the woman's Coke bottle smashed nose scene which is disgusting (3) the lovely theme song "The Long Goodbye" performed in numerous, different versions throughout the movie. The rest is an ordinary but solid detective story.

8. Thomas's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I used to think Elliot Gould was a dotard milquetoast.

9. William R Clark's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Kubrick famously asked Altman how he knew the shot of McCabe lighting his cigar in the snow was the right one; this 1973 film has many moments like those: not just the beautiful flash of the match being struck, but movements to which the camera has a perfect affinity: yoga contortions, squinting eyeballs, violent projections, cat walks. It'd be 5 stars silent, something more with those signature sound experiments

10. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I underplay my grade, just in case.

11. edocutrino's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Elliot Gould/Philip Marlowe Swag level over 9000

12. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

13. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Simply fabulous camerawork throughout. You pretty much know this is Altman within the first 15 mins of the film, featuring trademarks noted in other films like MASH and McCabe...Gould plays Marlowe like Newman played his PI Harper, i.e. cool as a fuckin' cucumber. Have the source novel on the shelf, but havent gotten around to reading it yet. Will be interesting to see how true the film is to Chandlers novel. 4 stars

14. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I don't think I've ever seen a director try so much to embody the 1970s only to trip himself on his many, many clichés. That's what I get for reading Deleuze I guess...

15. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Superbly modernised synthesis of seemingly disparate elements (Chandler in the 1970s) executed with subtle panache dressed-up in an ambling style. The level of visual detail alone calls for repeated viewings. One of Altman's finest (even allowing for the ending) and indeed a good example of the short-lived grown-up period for Hollywood between the relaxation of censorship and the juvenile pap post-Star Wars.

16. joey barglowski's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

the ocean drowning scene is amazing

17. Mr. Marston's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

18. FISCHER's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Classique du film noir qui prouve à nouveau la maîtrise incontestable du cinéaste... www.cinefiches.com

19. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Long Goodbye

First Arnold Schwarzenegger masterpiece !

20. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

21. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

4.5 // fantastic direction. the mood swallows the script, making the movie become bigger than the story. that's quite rare on a novel adaptation. uhhh what a song. what a private investigator

22. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Bogart's Marlowe in The Big Sleep was so serious, so impeccably rehearsed, that it all felt silly to me. This film had the exact opposite effect, Gould's Marlowe is so human in every line, in every awkward movement, that I seriously cared what would happen to him... and his cat. I bet that cat got a lot of "chat fatale" roles after that. A perfect film.

23. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

24. Yumi Kaioh's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

damn it, the man cannot find his goddamn cat

← Previous 1 3 4 5