1. _shalashaska_'s rating of the film The Long Goodbye

2. (efe) ni's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

3. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Clearly not a 5* movie (or is it?). Guilty pleasure however.

4. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I'll agree that it's fun enough. Gould's Marlowe is a pleasure to watch (+ 25yr old Schwarzenegger!). Directorially, felt a little arbitrarily put together, and a little immature. Fine, just not really all that good. 2.5.

5. Jason's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Timeless story of a man and his cat. The term "hardboiled" denotes a kind of thick-skinned philosophy. It extends beyond Chandler and co. Writers as disparate as Henry Miller and Jean Genet traffic in it. Elliott Gould is an especially blasé kind of hardboiled. Here we have a movie star as great as any who preceded him. His best before date appears to have arrived too soon, but in 1973 he and Altman were untouchable.

6. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

7. blkrchs's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

8. Elephants Gerald's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Altman brushed away the trudging melancholy of the source material and drilled in to its overarching streak of fractured nonsense -- Marlowe as a mumbling, bitter, sarcastic man out of time, barely registering the surreal non sequiturs surrounding him. Altman was ingenious to take the irony-adjacent cynicism of Raymond Chandler's noir and infuse it to bursting point with burn-out, post-hippie, unambiguous irony.

9. film_frame's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Eliot fucking Gould!!!!!!Robert goddamn Altman!!!!! This is required viewing!

10. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I watched this before long time ago but I couldn't remember the plot & the characters. But I always had & have in mind (1) the absolutely cool & in every scene chain smoking Elliot Gould (2) the woman's Coke bottle smashed nose scene which is disgusting (3) the lovely theme song "The Long Goodbye" performed in numerous, different versions throughout the movie. The rest is an ordinary but solid detective story.

11. Thomas's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I used to think Elliot Gould was a dotard milquetoast.

12. William R Clark's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Kubrick famously asked Altman how he knew the shot of McCabe lighting his cigar in the snow was the right one; this 1973 film has many moments like those: not just the beautiful flash of the match being struck, but movements to which the camera has a perfect affinity: yoga contortions, squinting eyeballs, violent projections, cat walks. It'd be 5 stars silent, something more with those signature sound experiments

13. Andre's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

In which Altman turns the detective story into a playground, where something wonderful is happening on every edge of the frame. Flipping from the comic to the brutal like a pro, and with a punchline that turns the tomfoolery into geuine noir, this film's more than okay by me. Watch it for Zsigmond's prowling camera, Williams' score, Gould, Hayden...everything really.

14. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Rewatched it now; obviously, this is a five.

15. edocutrino's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Elliot Gould/Philip Marlowe Swag level over 9000

16. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

17. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Simply fabulous camerawork throughout. You pretty much know this is Altman within the first 15 mins of the film, featuring trademarks noted in other films like MASH and McCabe...Gould plays Marlowe like Newman played his PI Harper, i.e. cool as a fuckin' cucumber. Have the source novel on the shelf, but havent gotten around to reading it yet. Will be interesting to see how true the film is to Chandlers novel. 4 stars

18. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

I don't think I've ever seen a director try so much to embody the 1970s only to trip himself on his many, many clichés. That's what I get for reading Deleuze I guess...

19. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Superbly modernised synthesis of seemingly disparate elements (Chandler in the 1970s) executed with subtle panache dressed-up in an ambling style. The level of visual detail alone calls for repeated viewings. One of Altman's finest (even allowing for the ending) and indeed a good example of the short-lived grown-up period for Hollywood between the relaxation of censorship and the juvenile pap post-Star Wars.

20. joey barglowski's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

the ocean drowning scene is amazing

21. Mr. Marston's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

22. FISCHER's rating of the film The Long Goodbye

Classique du film noir qui prouve à nouveau la maîtrise incontestable du cinéaste... www.cinefiches.com

23. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Long Goodbye

First Arnold Schwarzenegger masterpiece !

24. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film The Long Goodbye