1. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Longest Day

Couldn't help but keep Kon Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain and Samuel Fuller's Steel Helmet in mind while watching this and being staggered by the different postwar mentalities. In that light, this film seems rather broad and brash, but there's no denying its gorgeous cinematography. Undoubtedly its most moving sequence is the helpless paratrooper hung from the church steeple.

2. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Longest Day

I never thought I'd call a film starring John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Sean Connery boring... But there isn't really another way to describe The Longest Day besides boring. The first hour of this film is just so tedious! By the time we actually get to Normandy all of the momentum the film had has just been drained away. I was hoping for the next great war film, but what I got instead was just dull and repetitive.

3. mpho3's rating of the film The Longest Day

The lead up to the Normandy invasion, the longest day for the Allies and Germans alike, wounds my heart with a monotonous languor. The old man sure has changed since yesterday, or maybe it's just that we've changed since yesterday. It's funny isn't it. He's dead, I'm crippled, you're lost. I suppose it's always like that. War I mean. I wonder who won. | Would make a great miniseries. Taut yet overlong? 3.5 stars

4. Aardsy's rating of the film The Longest Day

The longest three months on my DVR.

5. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Longest Day

Impressive battle sequences, the best since All Quiet On The Western Front, and not really topped until Saving Private Ryan. This is a very overlong and bloated film, which was Fox's M.O. at the time I guess (see Cleopatra). What saves this from being an absolute mess, is the excellent ensemble cast made up of some of the best actors from around the world at the time, and Germans actually speaking German for once.

6. Moamen's rating of the film The Longest Day

epic and amazing !! ... and have some great epic shots and brilliant cinematography ...

7. Les films du miroir magique's rating of the film The Longest Day

The first film (Disney's excepted) that I have seen, at the age of 7. At the end, I asked to my dad : "And, ath end, who are the winners ?".

8. Gene Kelly Forever's rating of the film The Longest Day

I love this war movie its such a great movie with a very large cast!!!!! :)

9. flobota's rating of the film The Longest Day

mother of modern war movies. nice mix of stories from all sides.

10. chanandre's rating of the film The Longest Day

[Cinémathèque PT #15: 35 mm]

11. Arctvrvs's rating of the film The Longest Day

more like an epic than a war movie