1. Drew Kelly's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Beautiful soft golden light suggests makes Percy Fawcett's allure to the jungle all the more tragic. Other than this, this film most seemed to be working heavy-handedly with archetypes, too much so that it registers flatly for much of it (my issue with many of Gray's films). All the emotion is in the family scenes. Who is to say why a so precisely crafted film is so dull and rote.

2. Bilouaustria's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

There is a thin line between classicism and academism. Before "The Immigrant", James Gray was always on the right side of it. But it is getting even thinner by now. Still the elegance of most shots and a good script help the cause here. Sparks of brilliance only. I like though the ambigous Percy - charismatic Charlie Hunnam. Problem is : i did not FEEL the jungle the way Herzog or Weerasethakul brought it on screen.

3. OtOkanon's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Still don't understand the low rating for this. It is emotionally intense, it is visually stunning and well crafted, the actors are superb, music is beautiful. The last scene with the mirror and the scenes in "the underground" are pretty intense such as other unforgettable work of James Gray. HERMOSO CINE...

4. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

If one were to speak of Charlie Hunnam this year, most would tie his name to the disaster that is King Arthur. I feel like this film has flown far beneath everyone's radar, and it's a shame, because The Lost City of Z is masterful on all fronts–from the gorgeous cinematography to the top-notch performances and direction. This is an awe-inspiring biopic that everyone should see this year.

5. Benji's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

What a wonderful surprise.

6. Mr.Rager's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

The cinematography is stunnin here, the same is the job that J.Gray did and the acting is ok but somehow even with this asset the movie still dont delivered the whole package. I guess the story is the matter here;was repetitive and never reached the climax.Don't get me wrong,the plot is grippin and some moments are more than fine but i expected more with every sec passed;in the end i felt some disappointment. 7/10

7. hubertguillaud's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

James Gray donne de la puissance à un récit très simple et linéaire sur l'explorateur mythique Percy Fawcett. Un film à la fois cotonneux, pareil à un rêve éveillé, qui ramène le film d'aventure à une perspective humaine, tout en lui donnant une autre dimension, celle de la quête d'Absolue. Voilà qui fait redescendre Indiana Jones parmi les hommes. Fascinant.

8. Renton47's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

I wish Gray gave us more to suggest the superficial nature of Z's script, its dialogue and character motivations, are driven by a desire to make uniform a specific male ambition. In retrospect the strength might be in the ambiguity, "self-erasure" as all-encompassing in the face of greater unknowns. On the other, refreshing would have been more than a couple of scenes that weren't so cookie-cutter.

9. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

The same classical sincerity that makes Gray such a singular visual director also makes him a pretty vapid storyteller. When he is telling a simple, universal story it's maybe easier to overlook this. Gorgeous to look at, but lost me when it started speaking.

10. samuele90's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

La nonchalance con cui Gray riesce a conciliare film di guerra, film d'avventura e film famigliare.

11. xrystyna's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

12. Vladimir Gordanic's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

13. giovanni's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

14. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

15. konochingo's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

On paper I hate this. Fuck a hero's journey glorifying western imperialism. Yet, I loved it. The movie felt, to me, like a genuine meditation on the strange mystery of life. We find ourselves in places, with people, motivated by desire, motivated by responsibility. It's all very strange. This captures it. It isn't deep, but it is impactful. Hit me like a stoned epiphany that you never quite let go of.

16. chanandre's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Boy dreams never die. My generation's Apocalypse Now/The African Queen/The Battle of the River Plate. A western in Amazónia. The quest for the dream of dreaming. WWI . Ford, Cimino, Herzog, Coppola, Malick, Gibson.

17. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Indiana Jones meets Aguirre. Recommended but not the best James Gray.

18. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Is there any other director who approaches material with such earnestness? Gray's films must be hard to market to large audiences – favoring formalism over flashy style – but that's precisely why I love him. YOU GUYS I LOVE HIS FILMS.

19. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

explorer dude is naive, wife is cool. Sure you are right about it. Lost civilization, great. Dreams that aren't for sleeping kinda blow.

20. f-nanda's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Wanted to like it way more than I did. Great cinematography but the kind of pace this movie had isn't my cup of tea.

21. ryan brennan's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

There are certainly moments of brilliance here in Z, with an equal measure of shortcomings. Grey relies heavily on unsubtle dialogue to express character and motivation. His previous films defined a signature style that had much more texture to them, where he relied on body language, mood, and tone. The film, along with its lead character, finds identity in the final act.

22. FCC 86's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

23. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

I admire the attempts and the spirit but gods was it meandering. Some great touches tho, Such as the mini flashbacks.

24. reza nabizadeh's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

it could be james gray's apocalypse now . imagine that !

← Previous 1 3 4