1. giovanni's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

2. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

3. konochingo's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

On paper I hate this. Fuck a hero's journey glorifying western imperialism. Yet, I loved it. The movie felt, to me, like a genuine meditation on the strange mystery of life. We find ourselves in places, with people, motivated by desire, motivated by responsibility. It's all very strange. This captures it. It isn't deep, but it is impactful. Hit me like a stoned epiphany that you never quite let go of.

4. chanandre's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Boy dreams never die. My generation's Apocalypse Now/The African Queen/The Battle of the River Plate. A western in Amazónia. The quest for the dream of dreaming. WWI . Ford, Cimino, Herzog, Coppola, Malick, Gibson.

5. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Indiana Jones meets Aguirre. Recommended but not the best James Gray.

6. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Is there any other director who approaches material with such earnestness? Gray's films must be hard to market to large audiences – favoring formalism over flashy style – but that's precisely why I love him. YOU GUYS I LOVE HIS FILMS.

7. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

explorer dude is naive, wife is cool. Sure you are right about it. Lost civilization, great. Dreams that aren't for sleeping kinda blow.

8. f-nanda's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Wanted to like it way more than I did. Great cinematography but the kind of pace this movie had isn't my cup of tea.

9. ryan brennan's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

There are certainly moments of brilliance here in Z, with an equal measure of shortcomings. Grey relies heavily on unsubtle dialogue to express character and motivation. His previous films defined a signature style that had much more texture to them, where he relied on body language, mood, and tone. The film, along with its lead character, finds identity in the final act.

10. FCC 86's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

11. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

I admire the attempts and the spirit but gods was it meandering. Some great touches tho, Such as the mini flashbacks.

12. reza nabizadeh's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

it could be james gray's apocalypse now . imagine that !

13. redux's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

It doesn't gather an awful lot of depth, indeed. But what it does – tell a story of life-long commitment to exploration, in the frame of white colonalism –, it does with gusto, without catering to the lowest common denominator. A bit like an Indiana Jones directed by Visconti. Or Herzog without the madness. 3+

14. biancamotta's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

15. L'immoralistee's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

16. - Caltiki -'s rating of the film The Lost City of Z

17. Trailblazer, LLC.'s rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Something to aspire to. Pattinson belongs in rich character roles such as this.

18. Bruno's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Very disappointing movie by James Gray; for all its production history of a dedicated director's pursuit and adventurism in Amazon, it is a cold, insincere one, not to mention more than lacking in its political and social implications, them being either dubious or absent, which one is worst I can't tell.

19. Jake Davis's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

To dream to seek the unknown. To look for what is beautiful is its own reward. A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?

20. Theolini's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

The Lost City of Z is as close as can be to a masterpiece. It is the quest, the search, the doubts, the dedication and sacrifice of any explorer, artist or man whose dreams far exceed the ordinary. This is what being awake looks like.

21. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Standing somewhere between "Fitzcarraldo" and "Deliverance", "The Lost City of Z" is a valid tale of perseverance, passion, and courage. (3.5 stars)

22. rllr's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Two stars for a tight haircut from the jungle to the trenches and back.

23. Babak Geranfar's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

Can`t stand another good subject gets ruined, and what a boring movie from such a promising director.

24. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film The Lost City of Z

The beautiful and epic tale of Percy Fawcett. This story is told with care and love for the subject. And goes to show that James Gray is one of the best directors working today.

← Previous 1 3 4