1. Log Lady's rating of the film The Lost One

Sad to say, but although I loved the atmosphere, I did expect more from Lorre's only directorial effort. Acting is great as usual, but the story just doesn't cut it and the direction misses the mark.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Lost One

I love Peter Lorre. I enjoyed this one less for the plot, which was predictable, and more for the character work. He doesn't really go out of his safe zone in this one. It does maintain a nice melancholic mood, which is a tribute to his direction.

3. Rafael Fonseca's rating of the film The Lost One

So dark it can just swallow you. Lorre is a modern vampire, so pale & of dead eyes, trenchcoat over coat over coat smoking cigarettes all the time he's on screen (!). A Würgerkiller... "I have only one wish. To sleep, at any price"."She confessed like women do: admitting things, admitting more things and then omitting the one thing that matters". Lorre caresses a glass and remembers her face. The trains. (cont.)

4. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Lost One

5. joey Noodles's rating of the film The Lost One

Brooding, melancholic and endlessly atmospheric and moody, Lorre's only directorial effort is a bit of a jumbled mess of only half baked ideas. It's a film with a lot on its mind, it's a fascinating study of an outsider's descent into murder while also being a look at German identity, which is muddled ultimately with an attempt at a conspiracy plot. Occasionally incredible but ultimately frustrating. 3/5

6. Colette Saint Yves's rating of the film The Lost One

7. chanandre's rating of the film The Lost One

[Cinémathèque PT #530: 35 mm] (2007)