1. salty_candy's rating of the film The Lovers

I can't take any of the characters seriously. They're all idiots. But well, the movie looks and sounds nice

2. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film The Lovers

Rhapsodic. My take: http://musehours.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/pourquoi-jaime-les-amants.html

3. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Lovers

7.5/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Sp

4. FISCHER's rating of the film The Lovers

Le film choqua beaucoup à sa sortie, pour une scène prétendue audacieuse. Aujourd'hui, on le programme même dans les paroisses. Et les âmes dites "sensibles" ont trouvé d'autres films à dénigrer qu'on regardera à nouveau dans vingt ans, dans les congrégations religieuses, si elles existent encore ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Rikard Westeman's rating of the film The Lovers

Elevator to the Gallows & The Lovers. Malle & Moreau. 1958, what a year!

6. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film The Lovers

Romanticization of adultery with a twist of lemon.

7. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film The Lovers

The first hour is the most standard, boring 50's arthouse modernism one can imagine. The last half hour, though, becomes very romantic.

8. jkristianl's rating of the film The Lovers

whisky and biscuits in the province. good

9. teresa romã's rating of the film The Lovers

These kinda portraits of the "modern woman" are always so delightful to watch. To see a character develop so amazingly, oh. Refreshing.

10. Aardsy's rating of the film The Lovers

11. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Lovers

The opening frames filled me with so much joy as I was immediately immersed in Malle's lush visual style. The longer I kept watching I got a little disappointed with the narrative. Feels like he just wanted to add a romantic drama to his c.v... Liked the romancing in soft focus though, must have been inspired by silent Hollywood cinema.

12. Samuel Donath's rating of the film The Lovers

The first of its kind. Malle did it best, and with Jeanne Moreau. Sexy. Beautiful cinematography. Perfect voice over. This is one I can watch again and again, but I don't. I don't want it to lose it's power over me when I watch it occasionally.

13. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Lovers

I have not yet come across Jeanne's movie acting equal. I never use the word "perfect", but there is something "perfect", something complete and advanced about her...

14. grotescsetorg's rating of the film The Lovers

15. Dombl's rating of the film The Lovers

I really like Malle's early black and white films. Also this is a nice one, but not overwhelming. Especially the part in which Jeanne meets Bernard in the park of the house is to much like a fairy tale and nearly become some kind of kitsch: when the glasses are ringing, when they free the fishes, or when they lay together in the little boat, and all of that is accompanied by the strings of Brahms. That is too much!

16. Catherine Krummey's rating of the film The Lovers

"She was afraid, but she regretted nothing."

17. Robsaranga's rating of the film The Lovers

Louis Malle è un maestro e la Moreau è una grande artista, ma i dialoghi e le voci fuori campo di questo film sono così irritanti da far venire la voglia di prendere a calci i protagonisti indicando la fabbrica di scatolame gridando: "A lavorare!"

18. Dominic Rainsford's rating of the film The Lovers

Moreau's character first abandons bourgeois respectability, then bourgeois infidelity; very complex and precise use of cars.

19. olikosi's rating of the film The Lovers

it’s not showing the right movie. instead of louis malles’s les amant it shows les amant the pony neuf.....

20. alice's rating of the film The Lovers

La prima parte, vivace, trascinante, lascia il posto ad una seconda parte più intellettualistica e verbosa.

21. Matthew Thompson's rating of the film The Lovers

22. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Lovers

Worth watching for the luminous Jeanne Moreau. But the story of a bored,rich housewife fails as a character study and the last several minutes are not convincing.

23. Frankly, Mr. Shankly's rating of the film The Lovers

best twenty-minute making love scene ever. "Jeanne, le soleil!". wildly romantic!

24. Reginald Healer Marcellin's rating of the film The Lovers

Lovely cinematography and storytelling, but personally unfulfilling. In Malle's own words "...romantic,lyrical and naïve..."