1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Exceptionnelle prestation de Jean Gabin, en cambrioleur amoureux de la belle Natacha et de Louis Jouvet dans l'étonnant rôle d'un baron ruiné qui se retrouvent dans un bouge pour asociaux et chômeurs. Petit régal pour cinéphiles nostalgiques ! www.cinefiches.com

2. Aardsy's rating of the film The Lower Depths

3. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Se inicia como la historia de un crimen, para luego apuntar a la historia de una amistad, el melodrama y una oda a ese mundo aparentemente miserable. Lo mejor de "Los bajos fondos" tiene que ver con ese acercamiento a un estilo de vida precario pero vivido con mucha dignidad y humanidad, algo que me recuerda al personaje de "Boudu salvado de las aguas".

4. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Jouvet as the Baron is best!

5. Den-Leroy Kangalee's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Decent, but it lacked soul...Prefer Kurosawa's version.

6. Eder's rating of the film The Lower Depths

7. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Brilliant Gabin and Jouvet. Dreadful Junie Astor.

8. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Loved this French adaption from Renoir. Now I've got to track down Kurosawa's.

9. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Not Renoir's best film but a favorite for Jean Gabin's performance and it's depiction of poverty. I love the scene where Gabin's thief character is intending to rob the desolate baron at gun point but they end up becoming mates, drinking and playing cards all night instread.

10. Gonçalo Embaló's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Although I found it a little less poetic than Toni, Renoir unfolds, once again, the human condition, now firmed on his political view of relations. I had some problems with the fluidity and this didn't strike me as Toni but I like his away of extrapolating things, and of course his aesthetic.

11. Cbarky99's rating of the film The Lower Depths

After watching the Kurosawa version first, I think I like Renoir's addition of a happy ending -- it may be farfetched, but it helps keep the story from tilting into hopelessness.

12. Anton Williams's rating of the film The Lower Depths

Absolutely fabulous Louis Jouvet's role as Baron!